Annie Sloan (born 19 June 1949) is a British artist, colour expert and author.
After studying Fine Art at university in the 1970s, Sloan went on to write several books on traditional paints and decorative painting techniques, starting with The Complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques in 1988. She developed her own line of decorative paint, Chalk Paint, in 1990.
Annie Sloan was born in Sydney in 1949 to a Scottish father and a Fijian mother, and spent part of her childhood in South Africa. Following seven years of studying Fine Art in England, Sloan turned her attention to decorative painting. Her first book, The Complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques, was co-authored with Kate Gwynn and published in 1988. The success of the book launched her career as a decorative paint expert and led to opportunities to teach decorative painting techniques internationally.
She opened her first shop in Headington, Oxford, in 2000, where she sold her paint, as well as fabrics and ready-painted furniture.
In 2017, Sloan entered into a partnership with Oxfam to create a new colour called Lem Lem, inspired by Oxfam's Ethiopian Seed Project.
- The Complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques: An Inspirational Sourcebook of Paint Finishes and Interior Decoration, Ebury Press (ISBN 0712619054, 1988)
- Nursery Style: Creating Beautiful Rooms for Children, with Felicity Bryan. Contemporary Books (ISBN 0809242826, 1989)
- Simple Painted Furniture, DK (ISBN 0863183506, 1989)
- Colour in Decoration, Frances Lincoln Publishers (ISBN 071120604X, 1990)
- Traditional Paints and Finishes, Collins & Brown (ISBN 1855851695, 1993)
- The Practical Guide to Decorative Antique Effects, Readers Digest (ISBN 0895777940, 1995)
- Decorative Paint Effects: A Practical Guide, Readers Digest (ISBN 0802114288, 1996)
- Decorative Gilding: A Practical Guide, Readers Digest (ISBN 0895778793, 1996)
- Decorative Stenciling and Stamping: A Practical Guide, Readers Digest (ISBN 0895779277, 1997)
- Decorative Wood Finishes: A Practical Guide, Readers Digest (ISBN 0895779285, 1997)
- Decorative Decoupage: A Practical Guide, Readers Digest (ISBN 0762100117, 1998)
- The Painted Furniture Sourcebook: Motifs from the Medieval Times to the Present Day, Collins & Brown, (ISBN 1855854686, 1999)
- Modern Paint Effects: A Guide to Contemporary Paint Finishes from Inspiration to Technique, Collins & Brown, (ISBN 1855856719, 2000)
- Paint Alchemy: Recipes for Making and Adapting Your Own Paint for Home Decorating, Collins & Brown, (ISBN 185585886X, 2001)
- How to Paint Furniture, Collins & Brown, (ISBN 1855858819, 2001)
- Colour Schemes That Really Work, Collins & Brown (ISBN 1855858061, 2002)
- Painted Garden: 25 Easy Outdoor Paint Effects to Transform Any Surface, Laurel Glen Publishing (ISBN 1571459278, 2003)
- Painted Kitchen: Paint Effect Transformations for Walls, Cupboards, and Furniture, Laurel Glen Publishing (ISBN 1592231845, 2004)
- Complete Book of Decorative Paint Finishes, Collins & Brown, (ISBN 1843400529, 2004)
- Quick and Easy Paint Transformations: 50 step-by-step ways to makeover your home for next to nothing, CICO Books (ISBN 1906525757, 2010)
- Creating the French Look: Inspirational Ideas and 25 Step-By-Step Projects, CICO Books (ISBN 1907563954, 2011)
- The Annie Sloan Work Book: For Your Colour & Paint Ideas & Inspiration, Oxford Folio (ISBN 0956740545, 2012)
- Color Recipes for Painted Furniture and More: 40 step-by-step projects to transform your home, CICO Books (ISBN 1908862777, 2013)
- Room Recipes for Style and Color, CICO Books (ISBN 1782491546, 2014)
- Chalk Paint Workbook: A practical guide to mixing paint and making style choices, CICO Books (ISBN 1782493034, 2015)
- Paints Everything: Step-by-step projects for your entire home, from walls, floors, and furniture, to curtains, blinds, pillows, and shades, CICO Books (ISBN 1782493565, 2016)
- Hamburgh, Rin (August 27, 2015). "The Chalk of the town: 25 years of Sloan paints". The National (Abu Dhabi).
- Gray, Virginia (5 February 1989). "AROUND HOME : The Complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques BY ANNIE SLOAN AND KATE GWYNN (Salem House; 1988)". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- Bolger, Jillian (24 April 2016). "Chalking up Success - up-cycling tips from Sloan - Independent.ie". Irish Independent.
- "Who is Annie Sloan? Everything you need to know about the chalk paint queen". Your Home Style. Retrieved 2021-08-18.
- Chandler, Barbara (25 June 1995). "The Sunday Times Style".
- Galagher, Alanna (21 June 2014). "Sloan The Queen of Paint". The Irish Times Magazine.
- Denyer, Lucy (31 December 2014). "Interiors: why upcycling is having its moment". The Telegraph.
- Dale, Sharon (24 November 2012). "Slow Start, Fine Finish". Yorkshire Post.
- Oliver, Gill (April 2012). "Colour of Magic". Oxfordshire Limited Edition.
- Kelsey, Sarah (30 December 2013). "Budget DIY projects for winter: How to Chalk Paint your furniture". National Post.
- Scott-Jeffries, Samantha (November 2014). "Master Strokes". Homes & Antiques.
- Marty, Victoria (1 September 2015). "Wall paint, la nouvelle gamme de peinture signée Sloan". Marie Claire Maison.
- Bell, Stephanie (8 October 2014). "Queen of shabby chic: Sloan on reviving old items". Belfast Telegraph.