Sir Anthony Edward Bottoms FBA (born 29 August 1939) was Wolfson Professor of Criminology at Cambridge University from 1984 to 2006 and until December 2007 a Professor of Criminology jointly at the universities of Cambridge and Sheffield.
Bottoms was born 29 August 1939 and educated at Eltham College and Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, followed by a PhD at Sheffield. He worked as a probation officer before entering academic life as a researcher at Cambridge, then a lecturer in Sheffield (1968), becoming a professor there in 1976. He was made Knight Bachelor in 2001 for services to the criminal justice system, and is a Fellow of the British Academy. He is life fellow at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.
- R. Sparks, A.E. Bottoms and W. Hay (1996) Prisons and the Problem of Order, Clarendon Press
- A. von Hirsch, A.E. Bottoms, E. Burney and P-O. Wikström (1999) Criminal Deterrence and Sentence Severity, Hart Publishing
- A.E. Bottoms (2001) ‘Compliance and Community Penalties’ in A.E. Bottoms, L. Gelsthorpe and S. Rex (Eds) Community Penalties: Change and Challenges, Willan Publishing
- A.E. Bottoms (2002) ‘Morality, Crime, Compliance and Public Policy’ in A.E. Bottoms and M. Tonry (Eds) Ideology, Crime and Criminal Justice, Willan Publishing
- A.E. Bottoms (2003) ‘Theoretical Reflections on the Evaluation of a Penal Policy Initiative’ in L. Zedner and A. Ashworth (Eds) The Criminological Foundations of Penal Policy, Oxford University Press
- A.E.Bottoms (2006) ‘Incivilities, Offence and Social Order in Residential Communities’, in A. von Hirsch and A. Simester (Eds) Incivilities: Regulating Offensive Behaviour, Hart Publishing
- C. Walston & A. Bottoms(Eds) Challenging Crime: A Portrait of the Cambridge Institute of Criminology, Third Millennium Publishing
- University of Cambridge Institute of Criminology Professor Anthony Bottoms - Biography
- University of Sheffield School of Law Professor Sir Anthony Bottoms
- Burke's Peerage, accessed 3 Feb 2009
- Reporter Notices 10/05/06
- Debretts Prof Sir Anthony Bottoms
- BBC News 15 June 2001
- "Fitzwilliam College Law Course Homepage". Fitzwilliam College. 2010. Archived from the original on 29 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- YouTube Anthony Bottoms Lecture part 1 (2008)