Anthony Brown is an American jazz percussionist, drummer, composer, and bandleader, and ethnomusicologist. He is the son of a Choctaw and African-American father and a Japanese mother. Long associated with the Asian-American jazz movement, he specializes in the juxtaposition of American and Asian instruments and styles in his compositions and arrangements. Brown leads a cross-cultural ensemble, the Asian American Orchestra, whose interpretation of Duke Ellington's Far East Suite was nominated for a 2000 Grammy Award. He has also performed with Jon Jang and Mark Izu.
Brown obtained bachelor's degrees in music and psychology at the University of Oregon, and earned master's and Ph.D. degrees in ethnomusicology at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Family (Asian Improv, 1997)
- Big Bands Behind Barbed Wire (Asian Improv, 1998)
- Far East Suite (Asian Improv, 1999)
- Monk's Moods (Water Baby Records, 2002)
- Rhapsodies (Water Baby Records, 2005)
- Ten (Water Baby Records, 2008)
- India and Africa (Water Baby Records, 2010)