Anthony C. Yu
|Anthony C. Yu|
Anthony C. Yu (Chinese: 余國藩; pinyin: Yú Guófān; October 6, 1938 – May 12, 2015) was a scholar of literature and religion, eastern and western. At the time of his death he was Carl Darling Buck Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in the Humanities and Professor Emeritus of Religion and Literature in the Divinity School; also in the Departments of Comparative Literature, East Asian Languages and Civilizations, and English Language and Literature, and the Committee on Social Thought at the University of Chicago.
Life and career
Yu was born in Hong Kong October 6, 1938. His middle initial "C" was only a legal formality. His father, Pak Chuen Yu, a general in the Chinese Nationalist Army, and his mother Norma Sau Chan, then went to the mainland to escape the Japanese invasion. There, starting at the age of four, Yu learned classical Chinese from his grandfather, who would tell him stories from Journey to the West and draw Chinese characters in the sand for him to learn. After the war he went with his parents to Taiwan. He went to the United States, where he graduated from Houghton College, then took a bachelor’s in theology at Fuller Theological Seminary (S.T.B) and the University of Chicago (Ph.D). Among his honors and awards are elected membership in the American Council of Learned Societies, Guggenheim Fellowship, and Mellon Foundation grant.
- Yu, Anthony C. (1969). The Fall: The Poetic and Theological Realism of Aeschylus, Milton, and Camus.
- —— (1973). Parnassus Revisited: Modern Critical Essays on the Epic Tradition. Chicago: American Library Association. ISBN 0838901328.
- —— (1997). Rereading the Stone: Desire and the Making of Fiction in Dream of the Red Chamber. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691015619.
- —— (2005). State and Religion in China: Historical and Textual Perspectives. Chicago, Ill.: Open Court. ISBN 0812695526.
- --- coedited (with Mary Gerhart) Morphologies of Faith: Essays in Religion and Culture in Honor of Nathan A. Scott, Jr.
- —— (2008). Religion, Education and the Conflict of Culture. Hong Kong: Chung Chi College, Chinese University of Hong Kong. ISBN 9789628216208.
- "Anthony C. Yu Norman Maclean Faculty Award".
- Allen, Susie (May 18, 2015). "Anthony C. Yu, translator and scholar of religion and literature, 1938-2015". University of Chicago. Retrieved May 18, 2015.
- Sam Roberts, "Anthony C. Yu, Translator of the Saga of a Chinese Pilgrimage, Dies at 76" New York Times May 28, 2015
- Allen (2015).
- Lattimore, David (1983-03-06). "The Complete 'Monkey'". The New York Times.
Eric Jozef Ziolkowski, ed. Literature, Religion, and East/West Comparison: Essays in Honor of Anthony C. Yu (Newark: University of Delaware Press, 2005). ISBN 0874138698.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Anthony C. Yu|