Antoine Lacroix (1924)
|Born||4 February 1863
|Died||12 March 1948 (aged 85)|
|Awards||Wollaston Medal (1917)
Hayden Memorial Geological Award (1923)
Penrose Medal (1930)
Fellow of the Royal Society
|Fields||mineralogist and geologist|
|Doctoral advisor||Ferdinand André Fouqué|
Lacroix took the degree of D. s Sc. in Paris, 1889, as student of Ferdinand André Fouqué. Fouqué only agreed to the graduation if Lacroix would marry his daughter. In 1893 he was appointed professor of mineralogy at the Jardin des Plantes, Paris, and in 1896 director of the mineralogical laboratory in the École des Hautes Études.
He paid especial attention to minerals connected with volcanic phenomena and igneous rocks, to the effects of metamorphism, and to mineral veins, in various parts of the world, notably in the Pyrenees. In his numerous contributions to scientific journals he dealt with the mineralogy and petrology of Madagascar, and published an elaborate and exhaustive volume on the eruptions in Martinique, La Montagne Pele et ses éruptions (1904).
He also issued an important work entitled Mineralogie de la France et de ses Colonies (1893–1898), and other works in conjunction with Auguste Michel-Lévy. He was President of the volcanology section (1922–1927) of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG). He was elected member of the Académie des sciences in 1904. He was awarded the Penrose Medal in 1930.
- Smith, W. C.; De Margerie, E. (1952). "Francois Antoine Alfred Lacroix. 1863-1948". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society. 8 (21): 193. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1952.0013. JSTOR 768808.
- Jérémine, M. E.; Michel-Lévy, A. (1950). "Alfred Lacroix". Bulletin Volcanologique. 10: 173. doi:10.1007/BF02596087.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Lacroix, Antoine François Alfred". Encyclopædia Britannica. 16 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 54.
- "Geological Society of America - Past Award & Medal Recipients". The Geological Society of America. The Geological Society of America, Inc. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael. (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Lacroix", p. 149).