This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (May 2015)
|The Most Reverend
|Titular Archbishop of Gallesium|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Ordination||10 July 1960|
|Consecration||26 April 1992
by Pope John Paul II
|Born||24 March 1937
Puglianello, Benevento, Italy
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||His Excellency|
He held various posts in diplomatic missions of the Holy See in Iran, France, Permanent Mission of the Holy See to the United Nations in New York and the Section for Relations with States in Roman Curia.
He served as Apostolic Nuncio to Ukraine between 1992 and 1999. From 1993 to 1997 he also served there as head of the new Apostolic Administration of Zakarpattia of Latini, today a diocese of Mukacheve.
Nuncio to Israel and Cyprus and Apostolic Delegate to Jerusalem and Palestine
In 2006, he was appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Israel and Cyprus as well as Apostolic Delegate to Jerusalem and Palestine, replacing Archbishop Pietro Sambi, who was named the Apostolic Nuncio to the United States.
In 2007, a dispute arose as the Vatican protested the inscription under Pius XII photograph in Yad Vashem, alleging the Pontiff did not act to save Jews during the war. Franco even threatened to boycott the Holocaust Memorial Ceremony as a result.
He was praised for his service during the period of his work in the Holy Land. Specifically noted were the advance in the negotiations between Israel and the Holy See; his handling of the Yad Vashem situation (where the aforementioned inscription was later modified), and fostering relationships between the local Churches.
After he reached the age limit, Franco retired from all his posts in August 2012 but remained responsible for the dossier for negotiations between the Holy See and Israel regarding fiscal concerns, taxes and Church lands in Israel.
He participates in the work of Bilateral Permanent Working Commission between the Holy See and the State of Israel.
- "new nuncio stresses christian forgiveness value of life fundamental rights - ucanews.com". ucanews.com. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- www.gubbernet.com, Gubbernet s.r.l. - Soluzioni per internet avvincente -. "30Giorni". www.30giorni.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- Cheney, David M. "Archbishop Antonio Franco [Catholic-Hierarchy]". www.catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "thankful for best gift outgoing nuncio bids philippine church farewell - ucanews.com". ucanews.com. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Ynet, 15/4/07: Vatican agrees to attend Holocaust memorial service
- "Archbishop Franco's mandate in the service of the Church of the Holy Land". Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. 2012-11-12. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Vatican appointment humiliates Israel". Ynetnews. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "How Did a Jewish-American Businessman Become Pius XII's Greatest Champion?". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Archbishop Antonio Franco new Assessor of the Order" (PDF). Newsletter of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. № XXX: p.4. March 2013.
- "Holy See-Israel Commission continues work". Retrieved 2017-05-17.
|Nuncio to Ukraine
1992 - 1999
|Apostolic Nuncio to Israel
2006 – 2012
Gian Vincenzo Moreni
|Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines
25 February 2006 – 9 June 2007
|Catholic Church titles|
Giuseppe De Andrea
|Assessor of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre