2 April 1888|
|Died||23 February 1963
Finite strain theory
|Institutions||University of Palermo
University of Naples Federico II
Università di Roma
|Alma mater||Scuola Normale Superiore (1909) (Mathematics degree)
University of Palermo (1921) (Civil engineering degree)
|Doctoral advisor||Gian Antonio Maggi|
|Other academic advisors||Luigi Bianchi
|Doctoral students||Carlo Cattaneo
Ida Cattaneo Gasparini
Piero Giorgio Bordoni
|Other notable students||Gaetano Fichera|
|Known for||Signorini expansion
|Notable awards||Lavagna prize (1909)
Golden medal of the Accademia Nazionale delle Scienze detta dei XL (1920)
Antonio Signorini (2 April 1888 – 23 February 1963) was an influential Italian mathematical physicist and civil engineer of the 20th century. He is known for his work in finite elasticity, thermoelasticity and for formulating the Signorini problem.
He was awarded the gold medal of the Accademia Nazionale delle Scienze detta dei XL in 1920, while he was working at the University of Palermo: the members of the judging commission were Luigi Bianchi, Guido Castelnuovo and Tullio Levi-Civita.
On the 30th of May 1931 he was elected corresponding member of the Società Nazionale di Scienze, Lettere e Arti in Napoli: later on, precisely on the 11th of February 1933 and on the 4th of June 1949 he was elected, respectively, ordinary member and ordinary non resident member of the same academy.
He was elected corresponding member of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei on July 15, 1935, and then national member on February 4, 1947. However, he was newer awarded the royal prize of this academy, because he became a very early a member of it, thus losing the right to win a prize.
While only very few scientists between 1845 and 1945 studied the foundations of continuum mechanics, among them there were some of the most distinguished savants of the period: (...). In that period, however, many papers on the subject were published. When not essentially repetitions of earlier studies, these concerned special theories or approximations, most of which have turned later to be unnecessary in the cases when they are justified. Knowledge of the true principles of the general theory seems to have diminished except in Italy, where it was kept alive by the teaching and writing of Signorini.
He was also close friend and teacher of Gaetano Fichera at the Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica, inspiring his research in continuum mechanics, his solution of the Signorini problem and the creation of the field of variational inequalities.
- Signorini, Antonio (1959), "Questioni di elasticità non linearizzata e semilinearizzata" [Issues in non linear and semilinear elasticity], Rendiconti di Matematica e delle sue Applicazioni, Serie 5 (in Italian), 18: 95–139, MR 0118021, Zbl 0091.38006. An important work, summarizing Signorini's approach to continuum mechanics of finite strains.
- Signorini, Antonio (1991), Opere scelte [Selected works], Firenze: Edizioni Cremonese (distributed by Unione Matematica Italiana), pp. XXXI + 695. A volume collecting the most important works of Antonio Signorini with an introduction and a commentary of Giuseppe Grioli.
- For more details, see the relation on the awarding of the prize by Bianchi, Castelnuovo & Levi-Civita (1920).
- Precisely of the "Classe di Scienze Matematiche Pure e Applicate", (English translation:-"Class of Pure and Applied Mathematics"), as this division is called in Italy.
- According to the academic yearbook (2015, p. 112). The exact Italian member title is:"Socio Ordinario Non Residente".
- See the academic yearbook (2012, p. 131).
- See the academic yearbook (2012, p. 527).
- According to Picone (1965), who wrote what could be considered the main biographical reference on Signorini's life and work. Mauro Picone and Antonio Signorini were friends from their childhood in Arezzo: in the commemoration he wrote, Picone deals extensively with several aspects of the life and personality of Antonio Signorini.
- See (Signorini 1991).
- Forn more information, see the "Signorini problem" entry, or the historical paper (Fichera 1995).
Biographical and general references
- Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (2012), Annuario dell'Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei 2012 – CDX dalla Sua Fondazione (PDF) (in Italian), Roma: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, p. 734. The "Yearbook" of the renowned Italian scientific institution, including an historical sketch of its history, the list of all past and present members as well as a wealth of informations about its academic and scientific activities.
- Accademia Pontaniana (2015), Annuario della Accademia Pontaniana 2015 (DLXXIII dalla fondazione) (PDF) (in Italian), Napoli: Nella Sede dell'Accademia, p. 180. The "Yearbook 2015" of the Accademia Pontaniana, published by the Academy itself and describing its past and present hierarchies and its activities. It also gives some notes on its history, the full list of its members and other useful information.
- Agostinelli, Cataldo (1963), "Antonio Signorini 1888–1963", Bollettino della Unione Matematica Italiana, Serie 3, (in Italian), 18 (3): 327–330, Zbl 0112.00315, available from the Biblioteca Digitale Italiana di Matematica.
- Bianchi, L.; Castelnuovo, G.; Levi-Civita, T. (1920), "Relazione sul premio per la Matematica (anno 1920), presentata dalla Commissione composta dei Soci: Bianchi, Castelnuovo e Levi-Civita" (PDF), Rendiconti della Accademia Nazionale delle Scienze detta dei XL, Memorie di Matematica e Applicazioni, Serie 3, (in Italian), XXI (66): XXXIII–XXXV.
- Fichera, Gaetano (1995), "La nascita della teoria delle disequazioni variazionali ricordata dopo trent'anni", Incontro scientifico italo-spagnolo. Roma, 21 ottobre 1993, Atti dei Convegni Lincei (in Italian), 114, Roma: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, pp. 47–53. The birth of the theory of variational inequalities remembered thirty years later (English translation of the title) is an historical paper describing the beginning of the theory of variational inequalities from the point of view of its founder.
- Grioli, Giuseppe (1991), "L'opera di Antonio Signorini nella Fisica Matematica", in Signorini, Antonio, Opere scelte (in Italian), Firenze: Edizioni Cremonese (distributed by Unione Matematica Italiana), pp. XI–XXIV, archived from the original on 2009-12-28. This article, published in Signorinis's "Selected works" and whose English translation title is "The work of Antonio Signorini in Mathematical Physics" in the English translation, is an ample commentary on Signorini's work in mathematical physics written by one of his "allievi".
- Picone, Mauro (1965), "Commemorazione di Antonio Signorini", Atti e Memorie della Accademia Petrarca di Lettere, Arti e Scienze, Nuova Serie (in Italian), XXXVII (1958–1964): 378–402. The "Commemoration of Antonio Signorini" written by his colleague and close fiend Mauro Picone.
- Società Nazionale di Scienze, Lettere e Arti in Napoli (2012), Annuario della Società Nazionale di Scienze, Lettere e Arti in Napoli 2012 (PDF) (in Italian), Napoli: Società Nazionale di Scienze, Lettere e Arti in Napoli, p. 198. The "Yearbook" of the renowned Italian scientific institution, including the list of all past and present members as well as a wealth of informations about its academic and scientific activities.
- Ericksen, J. L. (1960), "Tensor Fields (Appendix to "The Classical Field Theories")", in Flügge, Siegfried, Principles of Classical Mechanics and Field Theory/Prinzipien der Klassischen Mechanik und Feldtheorie, Handbuch der Physik (Encyclopedia of Physics), III/1, Berlin–Heidelberg–New York City: Springer-Verlag, pp. 794–858, MR 0118005, Zbl 0118.39702.
- Truesdell, C.; Noll, W. (1965), Flügge, Siegfried, ed., The Non-Linear Field Theories of Mechanics/Die Nicht-Linearen Feldtheorien der Mechanik, Handbuch der Physik (Encyclopedia of Physics), III/3, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York City: Springer-Verlag, pp. 1–602, MR 0193816, Zbl 0137.19501.
- Truesdell, C.; Toupin, R.A. (1960), "The Classical Field Theories", in Flügge, Siegfried, Principles of Classical Mechanics and Field Theory/Prinzipien der Klassischen Mechanik und Feldtheorie, Handbuch der Physik (Encyclopedia of Physics), III/1, Berlin–Heidelberg–New York City: Springer-Verlag, pp. 226–793, MR 0118005, Zbl 0118.39702.
- Fichera, Gaetano (1972), "Boundary value problems of elasticity with unilateral constraints", in Flügge, Siegfried; Truesdell, Clifford A., Festkörpermechanik/Mechanics of Solids, Handbuch der Physik/Encyclopedia of Physics, VIa/2 (paperback 1984 ed.), Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer-Verlag, pp. 391–424, ISBN 3-540-13161-2, Zbl 0277.73001, ISBN 0-387-13161-2. The encyclopedia entry about problems with unilateral constraints (the class of boundary value problems the Signorini problem belongs to) he wrote for the Handbuch der Physik on invitation by Clifford Truesdell.