From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apelles may signify:
- Apelles, the most famous painter of Antiquity;
- Apelles, father of Aristophanes of Byzantium.
- Apelles, one of the guardians of Philip V of Macedon.
- Apelles, perhaps a son of the preceding, was a friend of Philip V of Macedon, and accompanied his son Demetrius to Rome in 183 BCE. (Plb. 23.14, &c., 24.1.)
- Apelles of Ascalon, chief tragic poet in the time of Caligula.
- Apelles of Heraklion, one of the Seventy Disciples;
- Apelles (gnostic), the founder of a Gnostic sect in the 2nd century.
- Apelles, an important advisor of Philip V of Macedon.
- "Apelles" was also a pseudonym used by the Jesuit Christoph Scheiner in writing on sunspots.
- The gossamer-winged butterfly genus Apelles is nowadays included in Glaucopsyche.
See also: HMS Apelles
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Apelles.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.