In computer science, the Apostolico–Giancarlo algorithm is a variant of the Boyer–Moore string search algorithm, the basic application of which is searching for occurrences of a pattern in a text . As with other comparison-based string searches, this is done by aligning to a certain index of and checking whether a match occurs at that index. is then shifted relative to according to the rules of the Boyer–Moore algorithm, and the process repeats until the end of has been reached. Application of the Boyer-Moore shift rules often results in large chunks of the text being skipped entirely.
With regard to the shift operation, Apostolico–Giancarlo is exactly equivalent in functionality to Boyer–Moore. The utility of Apostolico–Giancarlo is to speed up the match-checking operation at any index. With Boyer-Moore, finding an occurrence of in requires that all characters of be explicitly matched. For certain patterns and texts, this is very inefficient – a simple example is when both pattern and text consist of the same repeated character, in which case Boyer–Moore runs in , where is the length in characters of . Apostolico–Giancarlo speeds this up by recording the number of characters matched at the alignments of in a table, which is combined with data gathered during the pre-processing of to avoid redundant equality checking for sequences of characters that are known to match.
- Apostolico A., Giancarlo R., 1986, The Boyer–Moore–Galil string searching strategies revisited, SIAM Journal on Computing 15(1):98–105. doi:10.1137/0215007.
- Crochemore, M., Lecroq, T., 1997, Tight bounds on the complexity of the Apostolico–Giancarlo algorithm, Information Processing Letters 63(4):195–203. doi:10.1016/S0020-0190(97)00107-5.
- Crochemore, M., Rytter, W., 1994, Text Algorithms, Oxford University Press.
- Gusfield, D., 1997, Algorithms on strings, trees, and sequences: Computer Science and Computational Biology, Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-58519-8.
- Lecroq, T., 1992, Recherches de mot, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Orléans, France.
- Lecroq, T., 1995, Experimental results on string matching algorithms, Software – Practice & Experience 25(7):727–765. doi:10.1002/spe.4380250703.