Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not
|"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not"|
|Single by Thompson Square|
|from the album Thompson Square|
|Released||July 12, 2010|
David Lee Murphy
|Producer(s)||New Voice Entertainment|
|Thompson Square singles chronology|
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" is a song written by Jim Collins and David Lee Murphy, and recorded by American country music duo Thompson Square. It was released in July 2010 as the second single from their self-titled debut album, which was released on February 8, 2011. The song has been certified 2× Platinum by the RIAA. On November 30, the band received two nominations in 54th Grammy Awards for the song in Best Country Duo/Group Performance and Best Country Song but lost to "Barton Hollow" by The Civil Wars and "Mean" by Taylor Swift, respectively.
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" is a country love song. In the first verse, the song's male narrator describes sitting with his love interest and talking, and being caught off guard when she says to him 'are you gonna kiss me or not?' In the second verse he describes the kiss favorably, and decides to take a chance and ask for her hand in marriage. The song's bridge describes the events of the couple getting married, and him lifting up her veil before asking her 'are you gonna kiss me or not?'
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song a positive review, referring to it as "cute, playful, romantic and a prime example of the kind of song an artist needs to breakthrough with." Country Standard Time reviewer Jeff Lincoln also described the song favorably, saying that it "shows off a good bit of what makes the duo fun".
The music video was directed by Wes Edwards. It was filmed in St. Augustine, Florida in September 2010. It shows the duo singing outside a gate. It then moves to inside a lighthouse, where the performance continues. The next scene shows the duo in the water, at the beach and by the light of the moon, as well as scenes that are acted out, pertaining to the song's lyrics. The video ends with the duo kissing each other, which is actually turned out to be a reflection of them in the lighthouse's glass windows.
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" became Thompson Square's first number one hit on the Country Songs chart dated for April 9, 2011. It is also the first Number One hit for the Stoney Creek label. The song has sold 2,019,000 copies in the US as of April 2013.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||50|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||27|
|US Billboard Hot 100||96|
"Let Me Down Easy"
by Billy Currington
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
April 9, 2011
by Zac Brown Band
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Scotty McCreery covered the song on season 10 of American Idol.
- Zach Seabaugh covered the song on season 9 of The Voice.
- Bjorke, Matt (January 25, 2011). "New Artist Spotlight: Thompson Square". Roughstock. Archived from the original on January 28, 2011. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- ""Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" Sheet Music". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Matt Bjorke (October 10, 2010). "Thompson Square – "Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?"". Roughstock. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- Lincoln, Jeff. "Thompson Square review". Country Standard Time. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Morris, Edward (April 2, 2011). "Thompson Square Get First No. 1 With "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not"". CMT. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- Paul Grein (April 17, 2013). "Week Ending April 14, 2013. Songs: PSY Gallops Back". Yahoo Music (Chart Watch). Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Thompson Square – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Thompson Square. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Thompson Square – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Thompson Square. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- "Thompson Square – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Thompson Square. Retrieved January 30, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 9, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Thompson Square – Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 1, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH