|Born||2 September 1947|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
Arieh Iserles (born 2 September 1947) is a computational mathematician, currently Professor of the Numerical Analysis of Differential Equations at the University of Cambridge and a member of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
He studied at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and wrote his PhD dissertation on numerical methods for stiff ordinary differential equations. His research comprises many themes in computational and applied mathematics: ordinary and partial differential equations, approximation theory, geometric numerical integration, orthogonal polynomials, functional equations, computational dynamics and the computation of highly oscillatory phenomena.
He has written a textbook, A First Course in the Numerical Analysis of Differential Equations (Cambridge University Press, 2nd ed. 2009).
Arieh Iserles is the Managing Editor of Acta Numerica, Editor-in-Chief of IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis and an editor of several other mathematical journals. From 1997 to 2000 he was the chair of the Society for the Foundations of Computational Mathematics.
In 1999, he was awarded the Onsager Medal, by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, in 2012 he received the David Crighton medal, presented by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications and London Mathematical Society "for services to mathematics and the mathematics community" and in 2014 he was awarded by Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics the SIAM Prize for Distinguished Service to the Profession. In 2012, Professor Iserles was an invited speaker at the 6th European Congress of Mathematics  in Kraków, 2–7 July 2012.
- "A First Course in the Numerical Analysis of Differential Equations | Numerical Analysis | Cambridge University Press". cambridge.org. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Oxford Journals | Science & Mathematics | IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis". imajna.oxfordjournals.org. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "focm.net Loans". focm.net. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "IMA David Crighton Medal". ima.org.uk. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "SIAM: SIAM Prize for Distinguished Service to the Profession". siam.org. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Home | 6th European Congress of Mathematics". 6ecm.pl. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|