Brott was born in Chicago, Illinois, and served in the United States Marine Corps from 1976–78. He received an undergraduate degree from San Francisco State University in 1980, and an MBA from the Thunderbird School of International Management in 1982.
Referred to by Time magazine as the "superdad's superdad", Brott has received recognition for his writings on parenting and fatherhood. He writes two nationally syndicated newspaper columns (both for McClatchy): Ask Mr. Dad, and Parents@Play. He also hosts "Positive Parenting," which airs on the top station in San Francisco as well as on the American Forces Network, where it reaches 2 million American service members and their families.
Brott's writing has appeared in dozens of magazines, newspapers, and websites, including Time, Newsweek, The Washington Post, The New York Times Magazine, Men's Health, Redbook, Glamour, Sports Illustrated, Parenting, Huffington Post, DrPhil.com, Yahoo.com, DrLaura.com, and more.
Brott has also been interviewed by more than 500 print publications, television and radio shows, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, Time, Life, The Times of London, The Today Show, CBS Early Show, Fox News, CNN, Politically Correct, The O'Reilly Factor, and more.
He has three children and lives in Oakland, California.
Books on Fatherhood and Parenting
- The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-To-Be (also available as an audiobook)
- The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year (also available as an audiobook)
- Fathering Your Toddler: A Dad's Guide to the Second and Third Years
- Fathering Your School-Age Child
- The Single Father: A Dad's Guide to Parenting without a Partner
- Father for Life: A Journey of Joy, Challenge, and Change
- The Military Father: A Hands-on Guide for Deployed Dads
- Throwaway Dads: The Myths and Barriers That Keep Men from Being the Fathers They Want to Be (with Ross Parke)
- The Best Birth (with Sarah McMoyler)
Books on Other Topics
- The 10-Second Internet Manager (with Mark Breier)
- The End of Advertising As We Know It (with Sergio Zyman)
- Renovate Before Your Innovate (with Sergio Zyman)
- The Must-Have Customer (with Robert Gordman)
- The $uper $weet $pot (with Robert Gordman)
- Blueprint for Men's Health (Men's Health Network)
- Your Head: An Owner's Manual (Men's Health Network)
- Heartbeat (Men's Health Network)
- Breathe Easy (Men's Health Network)
- Balance Your Brain, Balance Your Life (with Drs. Jay Lombard and Christian Renna)
- "Armin A. Brott." Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale, 2006. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 23 April 2011.