Arthur B. Howard
Arthur Bridgman Howard (1 June 1838 – 1907) was an American horticulturalist.
Howard was America's foremost strawberry breeder of his time. His Howard 17 (Premier) variety is the ancestor of most American strawberries today. Howard was one of the few breeders before 1900 to use systematic methods. He wrote many horticultural articles for the New England Homestead, the leading agricultural paper of that time. S.T. Maynard, a close friend of Howard, was the first horticulture professor of Massachusetts. Howard's son, Everett, joined the effort to develop a variety of plants. The Howard 17 was selected from about 800 seedlings from a cross made in 1904. Unfortunately Howard died before his strawberry was named and introduced. Other plants that were named and introduced were the Howard apple, Howard Star Petunia, Royal Splendor Verbena, Lilliput Zinnia, and the Bay State tomato. In 1929, the American Pomological Society gave the Marshall Wilder Medal for notable fruit varieties to A.B. Howard and Son for Premier or Howard 17 as the most widely grown of all strawberries, 1908.
- "Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F4D8-G31 : accessed 16 July 2012), Arthur Bridgman Howard, 1838.
- "Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N4M6-D6Y : accessed 16 July 2012), Arthur B Howard, 1907.
- Darrow, George M. 1966. The Strawberry: History, Breeding and Physiology 12: Notable Early Strawberry Breeders of America. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Belchertown history Archived July 28, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Darrow, George M. 1966. The Strawberry: History, Breeding and Physiology FIG. 12-4. A. B. Howard. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. Archived September 7, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FC3W-XPK : accessed 16 July 2012), Arthur B. Howard, 1874.
- Figure 12-4 at www.nal.usda.gov Photo of Arthur B. Howard
- Belchertown history
- Darrow, George M. 1966. The Strawberry: History, Breeding and Physiology. Introduction (by Henry A. Wallace). New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.