October 21, 1989|
Enoch, Alberta, Canada
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Title||Mrs. Universe 2015|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
Miss Universe Canada 2013 (finalist), |
Mrs. Universe 2015 (winner)
The Amazing Race Canada 4 (3rd, with father Joel)
Callingbull is from Alberta's Enoch Cree Nation, west of Edmonton.
Life and career
Callingbull was born in Enoch Cree Nation in Alberta, to Cree parents. By the age of 10, she had consecutively won all Enoch's princess crowns in her community. She graduated from high school by the age of 16. Soon after, she began her University studies to pursue her Bachelor of Arts degree focusing on drama and acting/television.
Callingbull was also chosen as Miss Canada for the Miss Friendship International Pageant held in Hubei, China in September, 2010, and represented Canada at the Queen of the World Final held in Germany 2010.
She also represented Canada at Miss Humanity International in Barbados in October 2011.
She used her fame to urge the First Nations band governments to vote to depose the Conservative Party of Canada in the 2015 federal election. Callingbull stated that the First Nation's concerns needed to be prominent in the campaign.
Callingbull has said that she "never had the perfect childhood everyone dreams of. I had an incredibly difficult childhood and was raised mainly by my mother and grandparents...It was difficult to grow up the way I did, but it made me appreciate everything I have and most importantly made me the strong woman I am today."
Callingbull says she was drawn to the Mrs. Universe competition because of its domestic violence theme. "I thought, this is a perfect platform for me because I'm relatable to people, I've experienced this myself and I'm able to speak about it," she said. "I'm glad I'm able to use this title as a way to speak for others that can't speak for themselves."
She also credits turning to her First Nation culture for helping her heal and find herself.
- "Ashley Callingbull". Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Ashley Callingbull, Cree woman from Alberta, crowned Mrs. Universe 2015". metronews.ca. 30 August 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Ashley Callingbull Is The First Nation Mrs. Universe". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "New Mrs. Universe says Tory government treats First Nations people 'like terrorists'". 3 September 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Ashley Callingbull says First Nations rights 'slowly being taken from us'". 2 October 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Rising Enoch actress/model overcomes stereotype..." Spruce Grove Examiner. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Meet Mrs. Universe, Ashley Burnham of Enoch Cree Nation in Alberta". Canada AM. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- Chatelaine. "Mrs. Universe Ashley Callingbull winner is all kinds of amazing". Chatelaine. Retrieved 20 December 2015.. Callingbull was criticized following Mrs Universe Canada for hosting Mike Tyson at her private residence in the Bahamas with then husband Ryan Burnham