|Owned by||STAR India|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV),
|Slogan||Ahead with change, Ahead of others.|
|Country||Indian sub-continent, China, South East Asia, Middle East, Europe, United States and the lower half of the former Soviet Union|
|Headquarters||Trivandrum, Kerala, India|
|Sister channel(s)||Star Plus
Channel V India
Asianet Middle East
|Website||Asianet on hotstar
Asianet Suvarna on hotstar
|Sun Direct (India)||Channel 201 (SD)|
|Airtel Digital TV (India)||Channel 800 (SD)
Channel 801 (HD)
|Tata Sky (India)||Channel 1810(SD)
Channel 1809 (HD)
|Reliance Digital TV (India)||Channel 761 (SD)|
|Videocon d2h (India)||Channel 603 (SD)
Channel 991 (HD)
|Channel 701 (SD)|
|OSN (Middle East
and North Africa)
|Kerala Vision Digital TV
|Channel 006 (SD)
Channel 652 (HD)
|Asianet Digital TV
|Channel 101 (SD)
Channel 802 (HD)
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 139|
Asianet was the first privately owned television channel in Malayalam and the second to broadcast in India.
At a time when the only Malayalam-language television channel available was owned by Star India Pvt Ltd . The channel had hired a transponder on the Russian Ekran satellite, with an uplink from the USSR. Later, the company hired a transponder on the Rimsat satellite, and shifted the uplink to Subic Bay in the Philippines and then to Manila. Initially, the transmission time was only three hours per day which was gradually increased to 12 hours per day by the end of 1994 and later to round the clock broadcasting. In early 1995, the uplink was shifted to Singapore where it attained full operational status. With a change in the broadcasting policies of the Government of India, Asianet started an uplink from Chennai through VSNL. From 15 July 2002, Asianet had its own earth station at the Asianet Studio Complex in Puliyarakonam, Thiruvananthapuram. Over the course of more than two decades of operations, Asianet has developed its own in-house production facilities and now has full-fledged production studios in Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi.
The registered office of Asianet Communications Limited was shifted to Chennai on 3 December 1997. Asianet Communications Limited's majority share was then acquired by Jupiter Media and Entertainment Venture, owned by Rajeev Chandrasekhar. In 2008, the STAR India became a majority shareholder in Asianet Communications Limited. In 2013, STAR announced buying of remaining shares of Asianet Communications Limited to get 100% ownership. In July 2012, Asianet, launched Asianet Movies, the first Malayalam satellite TV channel for movies. On 13 August 2015, Asianet launched Asianet HD, the first Malayalam satellite TV channel for full high definition visual quality along with 7.1 Dolby Digital sound.
Coverage and viewership
Asianet reaches the homes of Malayalees in over 60 countries worldwide including the Indian sub-continent, China, South East Asia, Middle East, Europe, United States and the lower half of the former Soviet Union.
Besides its large viewership base among Malayalam-speaking people in Kerala and other regions of India, Asianet enjoys huge popularity among Malayalee expatriate populations outside India, especially in the Middle East. Further catering to the region's huge Malayalee population, Asianet operates a radio station, Asianet Radio 657 AM and 1269 AM, from the city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. The radio channel is also available in the neighbouring Arab countries of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain.
Brand identity and signature song
The channel name Asianet was a product of its founder K. Sasikumar. The unique blue and pink logo was designed by acclaimed Indian graphic designer Sujata Keshavan and is one of the most recognizable brand identities in the television broadcasting field in south India. The current logo is red and white. The popularity of the brand is credited to K. Sasikumar and the then Vice President Prem Menon.
The signature song of Asianet, "Shyama Sundara Kera Kedara Bhoomi", is a much appreciated song among Keralites. Created in 1994, and originally airing in the early years of the channel in the mid-90s, the song was written by renowned Malayalam poet P. Bhaskaran, composed by two-time Academy Award-winning Indian composer A. R. Rahman (who at the time, was just at the beginning of his career and was relatively unknown) and sung by Sujatha and Kalyani Menon. The video for the song is a collage of the various tokens of ethnic, cultural and traditional heritage belonging to Malayalees, set against a backdrop of the beautiful natural sights and landscapes of Kerala. Initially airing in the late 90s, the video quickly became a part of Malayalee culture. Later the symbol become recognizable by Malayalees and it is a long-standing emblem for Asianet.
Award shows from 2010, has grown quite in number especially sponsored by TV Channels. Asianet is the first TV Channel to use this opportunity in its fullness. Asianet itself conducts more that five awards shows a year from 2012, with re-runs. The current shows are 2 megastars based award shows, asianet film awards, asianet TV awards, comedy awards etc. Media Critics consider this trite exercise have made the meaning of awards lost. It has become more of a platform for publicity stunt and promotion for both the film stars as well as for the channel.
Asianet Film Awards
The Asianet Film Awards were instituted by Asianet to honour both artistic and technical excellence in the Malayalam film industry. Held and broadcast annually since 1998, the ceremony has gained in popularity over the years and is currently one of the most-watched award ceremonies in Kerala in television rating. It has become a tool for influencing mindset of Malayalees in general with an array of big-small time actors and actress'.
Asianet Television Awards
The Asianet Television Awards (ATA) is one of Asianet newer ventures. It is promotional platform of Asianet's TV shows. Since TV actors and actress' lack a society like Association of Malayalam Movie Artists, Asianet conducts functions to token their actors, directors, producers and production houses alternatively.
- Main Awards
- Best serial
- 2005 - Swapnam
- 2008 - Ente Manasaputhri & Swamy Ayyappan
- 2011 - Harichandhanam
- 2012 - Kumkumapoovu
- 2013 - Sthreedhanam
- 2014 - Parasparam
- 2015- Karuthamuthu
- 2016- Parasparam
- Best Actor
- 2005 - Suresh Krishna & Anoop Menon(Swapnam) & (Megham)
- 2008 - Anand Kumar (Nomabarappoovu)
- 2011 - Arun Ghosh (Paarijatham)
- 2012 - Sajan Surya (Kumkumapoovu)
- 2013 - Sajan Surya (Kumkumapoovu)
- 2014 - Vivek Gopan (Parasparam)
- 2015 - Kishor Satya (Karuthamuthu)
- 2016 - Kishor Satya (Karuthamuthu)
- Best Actress
- 2005 -Praveena & Chippy Renjit (Swapnam) & (Sthree oru santhwanam)
- 2008- Sreekala Sasidharan (Ente Manasaputhri)
- 2011 - Rasna (Paarijatham)
- 2012 - Asha Sarath (Kumkumapoovu)
- 2013 - Shelly Kishore & Divya Vishwanath (Kumkumapoovu) & (Sthreedhanam)
- 2014 - Rekha Ratheesh (Parasparam)
- 2015 - Gayathri Arun (Parasparam)
- 2016 - Meghna Vincent (Chandanamazha)
- Best Director
- 2005 -K. K. Rajeev for serial Swapnam
- 2006 -K. K. Rajeev for Serial Amma manassu
- 2008 - Suresh Unnithan for serial Swamy ayyappan
- 2011 - Sujit Sunder for serial Autograph
- 2012 - Praveen Kadakkavoor for serial Kumkumapoovu
- 2013 - Krishnamoorthi for serial Sthreedhanam
- 2014 - Harrison for serial Balaganapathy
- 2015 - Praveen Kadakkavoor for serial Karuthamuthu
- 2016 - Praveen Kadakkavoor for serial Karuthamuthu
- Best Negative Character (Male & Female)
- 2005 - Chandra Lakshman
- 2006 - Chandra Lakshman
- 2008 - Archana Susheelan
- 2011 - Krishnakumar & Aishwarya
- 2012 - Rajesh Hebbar & Ashwathy
- 2013 - Devendranadh & Ashwathy / Sonu SK
- 2014 - Shobi Thilakan & Kanya Bharathi
- 2015 - Jishin Mohan & Shalu Kurien / Sonu SK
- 2016 - Naveen Arakkal & Archana Susheelan
- Best Character Artist (Male & Female)
- 2005- G. K. Pillai (actor)/Prem Prakash & Srividya
- 2008 - Devan / Jayan & Sona Nair
- 2011 - T.S.Raju & Sona Nair
- 2012 - T.S.Raju & Mallika Sukumaran
- 2013 - Vishnu Prakash & Sudha Chandran
- 2014 - Kottayam Pradeep & Roopa Sree
- 2015- Santosh Kurup & Roopa Sree / Rekha Ratheesh
- 2016 -Santosh Kurup & Thara Kalyan / Rekha Ratheesh
- Popular actor/actress
- 2008-Kaushik Babu
- 2011-Sharat Das & Praveena
- 2012-Shanavas & Archana Susheelan
- 2013-Rajeev Roshan & Chitra Shenoy
- 2014-Sarat Das & Divya Vishwanath
- 2015-Vivek Gopan & Meghna Vincent/ Chitra Shenoy
- 2016-Subramani & Gayathri Arun
- child artist
Asianet Comedy Awards
This awards is to honor comedy artists of malayalam cinema and serials. This Award show completed its second season in 2016. Adlxux Convention Centre , Angamali, Cochin hosted the first and second season Asianet comedy awards.
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Actress (TV)
- 1-Kanya Bharathi
- 2-Beena Antony
- Best Actor (TV)
- 1-Kottayam Rasheed
- 2-Anoop Chandran
- Best Anchor(TV)
- 1-Ramesh Pisharody
- Best Movie
- Popular Movie
- Best Director
- Comedy Youth Icon
- Multifaceted Talent
Programming and shows
Asianet is a general entertainment channel with programmes in a wide variety of genres including Malayalam-language movies, soaps, reality shows, talk shows, news programmes, travel shows and music-based shows. While programming is mainly targeted at family audiences, there are several programmes aimed towards specific audiences such as shows for children, teenagers, young working professionals and elders.
The channel also broadcasts a successful musical talent reality contest - Idea Star Singer.
|Title||Time slot||Number of Episodes|
|Primetime soap operas|
|Seethayanam||6.00 pm IST||212 (as of 30 Dec)|
|Pranayam||6:30 pm IST||440 (as of 30 Dec)|
|Chinthavishtayaya Seetha||7:00 pm IST||104 (as of 31 Dec)|
|Karuthamuthu||7:30 pm IST||670 (as of 30 Dec)|
|Parasparam||8.00pm IST||1045 (as of 2 Jan )|
|Chandanamazha||8:30 pm IST||885 (as of 31 Dec)|
|Bharya||09.00pm IST||192 (as of 31 Dec)|
|Vellanakalude Nadu||10.45pm IST||138 (as of 30 Dec)|
|Ningalkkum Aakaam Kodeeshwaran||9:30pm IST(Monday to Thursday)||1 (as on 16th Jan)|
|Mukthi Sudhakaram||6:15am IST(Monday to Saturday)||2120(as on 30 Dec)|
|Padheyam||6:45am IST(Monday to Saturday)||21(as on 30 Dec)|
|Taste Time||12:00 Noon
4:00pm IST (Monday to Friday)
|955 (as of 30 Dec)|
|Sabaritheertham 2016||7;55 am
6:00 pm IST(Monday to Saturday)
|33 (as on 30 Dec)|
|Comedy Stars Season 2||9:30 pm IST (Sat/Sun)||545(as of 31 Dec)|
|Badai Bunglow||8:00 pm IST (Sundays)||239 (as of 25 Dec)|
|Anantham Ajnatham||6:30 am IST (Sundays)||1139 ( as on 1 Jan )|
|Cinema Diary||1:00pm IST(Sundays)||831(as on 1 Jan)|
|Kissan Krishideepam||7:30 am IST(Sat/sun)||670 (as on 1 Jan)|
|Singapore Choice||6:00am IST(Sundays)||480 (as on 1 Jan)|
|Singapore Taste||6:45 am IST (Saturday)||27 (as on 25 Dec)|
|US Weekly Roundup||7:00 am IST(Saturdays)||660 (as on 25 Dec)|
|Surya Festival 2015||7:00am IST(Sundays)||52 (as on 6 Dec)|
|Vandhyatha oru Shaapamalla||8:45 am IST(Sundays)||44 ( as on 25 Dec)|
|First copy||Re-telecast from Asianet Movies||869 (as on 5 Jan)|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 January 2015. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- "Star buys majority in Asianet; forms JV with Rajeev Chandrasekhar | Reuters". In.reuters.com. 2008-11-17. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Star TV buys majority in Jupiter Entertainment". Business Standard. 2008-11-16. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Asianet to launch movie channel on July 15". Business Line. 11 July 2012.
- "Asianet to launch 24 hour movie channel". Business Standard. 11 July 2012.
- VCCircle (2008-11-17). "M & A Star Buys Majority In Asianet; Forms JV With Rajeev Chandrasekhar". contentSutra. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "" (2009-05-15). "SHYAMASUNDARA Signature song of Asianet By Pavitra online". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-07-16.