|Brett Lovelady, Founder / CEO
Kyle Swen, EVP Design / Partner
Jim Goodell, COO / Partner
Number of employees
Astro Studios is an American design firm in San Francisco, California, United States. Astro creates products, brands and experiences for a range of industries, typically including a pop culture infused blend of technology, lifestyle, fashion, sporting and consumer goods.
Founded in 1994 by Brett Lovelady in Palo Alto, California, ASTRO Studios moved to San Francisco in 2000 and is currently led by partners Brett Lovelady, Kyle Swen and Jim Goodell.
Early notable products designed by Astro Studios include, the original Compaq IPAQ Pocket PC, Alienware Computers and Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 accessories In 1999, Astro Studios received two Design of the Decade Awards by BusinessWeek / Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), one for the Kensington Computer Products Group Smart Sockets and the other for the Nike Inc’s first electronic products, the original Triax SportsWatch series, which also won the first IDSA Catalyst Award for impact in design and business.
Recent notable programs include the design of the Boxee Box, Zune HD, OnLive gaming hardware, the branding and product design of start-up Sol Republic and brand makeover of Hydrotec, makers of eco-friendly paintballs.
In 2006, Astro Studios recognized an emerging market for professional grade video gaming accessories and spun off another business titled Astro Gaming, which produces premium gaming headsets and accessories. Founded by Brett Lovelady and Jordan Reiss to create an authentic gaming brand to answer the rising popularity of the gaming lifestyle, Astro Gaming values design as much as any other component of their business such as finance, marketing, and engineering. This plus the fact that they sell their products directly to the consumer translates to a lower price point and a design that is directed specifically at the consumer. In 2008, the Astro Gaming A40 Audio System became the official licensed headset of Major League Gaming. Since then, they have launched a myriad of other headsets and accessories including the A30 Audio System, the A*Stars, and the new A50 Wireless System. Astro Gaming was acquired by Skullcandy in April 2011 and placed #13  on Inc. 500’s list of the America’s Fastest Growing Companies in 2011.
Astro Studios has been recognized with accolades from a wide range of design and business organizations, including Red Dot awards, the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) 365 Awards, the Chicago Athenaeum Good Design Award, and the ID Magazine Design Annual awards.
- Brand management
- Design management
- Design thinking
- Graphic design
- Industrial design
- Interaction design
- User centered design
- User experience
- "Astro Studios contact page". Astrostudios.com. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- "Business Wire Astro Studios: Design of the Decade Award 1999, 2008". Findarticles.com. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Nike Triax". Idsacatalyst.org. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Pavlus, John. "Boxee Designers Explain Out-of-the-Box Thinking". FastCoDesign.com. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "Good Design 2010 Zune HD". Chi-athenaeum.org. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Astro Gaming Company Page". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Reiss, Jordan. "Interview with Jordan Reiss, the Co-Founder and VP of Astro Gaming". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "A40 Audio System". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "A30 Audio System". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "A*Star In-Ear Headset". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "A50 Wireless System". Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Astro Gaming company profile". Inc.com. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Red Dot Awards 2011". En.red-dot.org. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "AIGA Design Archives Astro". Designarchives.aiga.org. Retrieved 2012-01-25.