This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2021)
Russell 2000 Component
|Riley McCormack, CEO|
|Revenue||c. US$35 million (2013)|
Number of employees
Digimarc Barcode is a machine-readable code that the company claims is imperceptible – nearly invisible and inaudible – to people. The company also provides Digimarc Discover software for detecting the information stored in the Digimarc Barcode.
Digimarc was founded by Geoff Rhoads. In 1996, after initial venture funding, Digimarc released its first product: a digital watermarking plug-in bundled with Adobe Photoshop, Corel, and Micrografix.
Digimarc has developed a DRM system used on bank notes of several countries. Developed for the Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group, the system embeds various hidden patterns into banknote designs which are detected by code included in several popular image editing programs, including Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Digimarc's system blocks users from opening images identified as bank notes.
In August 2008, Digimarc completed the sale of its ID card business to rival L-1 Identity Systems. The new Digimarc corporation consists solely of its digital watermarking business and reincorporated as an Oregon company. Digimarc sold off the majority of their patents to Intellectual Ventures in 2010 for $36 million, plus a portion of any future patents Digimarc is granted. The licensing deal helped increase revenue and profits the next year, when the company earned $639,000 on revenues of $8.6 million in the third quarter.
In 2012, Digimarc acquired Attributor Corp., a content-protection company specializing in anti-piracy services and management of copyrights for publishing, photography and corporate documents.
The company formed a partnership in 2016 with GS1 US, a barcode standards organization, to promote the adoption of Digimarc Barcode by the group’s membership. Under the arrangement, GS1 uses Digimarc Barcode technology under the DWCode designation. Digimarc began collaborating with GS1 Germany, a regional offshoot, in 2016 to bring the DWCode to German retailers and manufacturers.
- "Digimarc Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Financial Results". Digimarc Corporation. February 20, 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Digimarc Corp". Google Finance. April 25, 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "DMRC Profile | Digimarc Corporation Stock - Yahoo! Finance". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Caruso, Denise. "Business > Companies > Digimarc Corporation". The New York Times.
- "Digimarc Corporation Common Stock". Nasdaq.com. 2 June 2014.
- "Digimarc Explains How Companies Are Moving Beyond QR Codes For Mobile Engagemen". Apple Developer Magazine. July 2, 2016.
- "What's that sound? Digimarc pursues audio watermarking as an alternative to acoustic fingerprinting". Silicon Forest Blog. June 26, 2013.
- "Digimarc receives funding of $4.5M. (AVI Capital, Adobe Ventures, Just Systems and Softbank provide capital) (Company Financial Information)(Brief Article)". The Seybold Report on Internet Publishing. 1 September 1996.
- HighBeam[dead link]
- Software Detection of Currency, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk, Accessed 2010-04-25
- Earnshaw, Aliza (18 January 2009). "$310M sale of Digimarc unit the biggest deal of 2008".
- "Last chance to tender Digimarc shares". 11 August 2008.
- "Digimarc reincorporates as an Oregon company". 16 May 2010.
- Rogoway, Mike (28 December 2010). "Digimarc fires auditor amid accounting dispute". The Oregonian. OregonLive. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
- Rogoway, Mike (October 25, 2011). "Licensing revenue fuels Digimarc's growth". The Oregonian. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Digimarc signs $36 million deal with Intellectual Ventures". Portland Business Journal. October 6, 2010.
- "Digimarc acquires Attributor". Portland Business Journal. American City Business Journals. December 4, 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Tech Partnership Looks Beyond the Bar Code With Digital Watermarks". Wall Street Journal. January 12, 2016.