Aubrey Henry Smith
On January 4, 1837, he was admitted to the Philadelphia Bar, one of 15 that year.
In 1838, he was assistant treasurer of the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroad, which, along with three other railroads, built the first rail link from Philadelphia to Baltimore. His service as an early railroad executive is noted on the 1839 Newkirk Viaduct Monument.
In 1867, Smith published "On the colonies of plants observed near Philadelphia", the first of several scientific papers about the plants — often introduced from foreign lands — found on ballast heaps in the ports and wharves of New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
On April 5, 1869, he was appointed U.S. District Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Gordon, Scott Paul. "A Henry Family Genealogy (in progress)" (PDF). jacobsburghistory.com. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- "Penn Undergraduates: Compiled from the January 1832 University Catalog". University of Pennsylvania Archives. Archived from the original on April 23, 2018. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Historical and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties. J. H. Beers & Company. 1915. p. 314.
- Brown, David Paul (1868). The Philadelphia Bar: A Complete Catalogue of Members from 1776 to 1868. Review Printing House. p. 22. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Ashmead, Henry Graham; Hungerford, Austin N. (1884). History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Cornell University Library. Philadelphia, L. H. Everts & co.
- Minutes and Correspondence of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 1812-1924. Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. December 2007. ISBN 9781422317815. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- "APS Member History". search.amphilsoc.org. Retrieved 2021-01-13.
- Eisenman, Sasha W.; Katrina Dulatas; Hope Elizabeth Clennon & Lena Struwe. "Poster: Ballast dumps from the late 1800s" (PDF). Ballast dumps from the late 1800s. Department of Plant Biology and Pathology, Rutgers University, NewBrunswick, NJ. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 21, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Scharf, John Thomas (1988). History of Delaware: 1609-1888. Philadelphia: L.J. Richards.
- Lathrop, George Parsons (1884). History of the Union league of Philadelphia, from its origin and foundation to the year 1882. J.B. Lippincott & Co. Retrieved January 27, 2014.