Auckland Chamber of Commerce
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2013)|
|Method||Business services, media attention, events and training|
|Michael Barnett, Chief Executive Officer |
The Auckland Chamber of Commerce (The Chamber) is a New Zealand business network representing the interests of businesses in the Auckland region. It is a Non-Governmental Organisation. Founded in 1856, the Chamber is intended to "inspire and influence business vitality". As of 2013, the Chamber claims a membership of 12,000 business owners.
The Chamber was founded in 1856, at a meeting of merchants on 24 January, during a period of economic depression. Active in the 1860s, the Chamber floundered somewhat before an 1869 reorganisation that opened its ranks to a wider variety of merchants, on an annual subscription basis.
Following its inception it focused on issues ranging from remedying trade abuses and obtaining adequate facilities for businesses, to standardization of grain weights and simplifying the customs tariff.
The Chamber hosts events and training courses. As at 14 May 2013, courses offered included 'Organisational Mentoring', 'Customer Service Skills', 'Accounting for Non-Accountants' and 'Successful Business Communication'.
The Chamber also maintains a media presence predominantly through its Chief Executive Officer, Michael Barnett, who has commented on topics including Auckland Transport, Water Charges, Council Rates  and the National Convention Centre.
The Chamber seeks to provide work opportunities to jobseekers through such initiatives as the CadetMax programme, with the New Zealand Ministry of Social Development, and the New Kiwis, with Immigration New Zealand.
The Chamber offers international services such as documentation and certification, advice and market intelligence, banking and finance, services for inbound trade delegations and letters of introduction.
- "Chambers of commerce, 1850s–2000s". teara.govt.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Contact Us". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Senior Management". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "About Us". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- McLintock, Alexander H. (1966). An encyclopaedia of New Zealand. R. E. Owen, Govt. printer. p. 25.
- "A Century of Auckland Commerce: 1856–1956; A History of the Auckland Chamber of Commerce.". journals.cambridge.org. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Events". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Leadership can unlock the roadblocks". nzherald.co.nz. 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Water charges cause ripples". nzherald.co.nz. 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Rate increase threatens business". stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Convention centre design needs council sign-off". radionz.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Young people". msd.govt.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Employment Programmes". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "New Kiwis". newkiwis.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Certification". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "International Services". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Find Staff". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Advertise". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Resources". aucklandchamber.co.nz. Retrieved 2013-05-14.