She began her career in dance in 1983 when she entered the Paris Opera Ballet School (L’École de danse de l’Opéra de Paris). She joined the company at age sixteen in 1987, and became a première danseuse in December 1996. Dupont was promoted to star dancer (Étoile) in 1998 after her performance as Kitri in Paris Opera Ballet's revival of Nureyev's production of Don Quixote. She has also starred in Paris Opera Ballet's revival of Nureyev's version of The Sleeping Beauty.
Dupont formally retired from the Paris Opera stage following a performance of Kenneth MacMillan's Manon on 18 May 2015. It was announced on 5 Feb 2016 that she would be the next director of dance for the Paris Opera Ballet after the resignation of Benjamin Millepied.
Dupont's repertoire includes:
- 1992 : Gold medallist at the Varna International Ballet Competition (category juniors)
- 1993 : Winner of the French Prix du Cercle Carpeaux
- 1994 : Winner of the AROP (Association pour le rayonnement de l'Opéra national de Paris)
- 2002 : Prix Benois de la Danse
- 2005 : Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres
- "Aurélie Dupont, Étoile". National Opera of Paris. Archived from the original on 11 May 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2015. (in French)
- L'espace d'un instant at the Internet Movie Database
- "La danseuse étoile Aurélie Dupont fait ses adieux à la scène". Vanity Fair. 19 May 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Benjamin Millepied to Step Down From Paris Opera Ballet". New York Times. 5 Feb 2016. Retrieved 8 Feb 2016.