This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shamban graduated from Harvard University before receiving her medical degree from Case Western Reserve Medical School. She completed an internal medicine internship at the Mount Sinai Medical Center and went into practice as a general practitioner in California for two years. She then received a Dermatology Foundation Fellowship for the study of extracellular matrix proteins, with Dr Jouni Uitto. Shamban continued on to complete her dermatology residency at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in 1989 and is currently a member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery as well as the American Academy of Dermatology, and also serves on the editorial board of The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology.
Shamban was a recurring cast member of the ABC TV show "Extreme Makeover," from 2003-2007, where she provided skincare consultations for participants. She also appeared on multiple episodes of the TV show "The Doctors," where she discussed skin care issues.
Shamban is the owner and director of two dermatology practices in Los Angeles. The Santa Monica practice has been open for 20 years, while the Beverly Hills location opened 9 years ago. Shamban also serves as Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at the UCLA Geffen School of Medicine.
Shamban has authored one book, and is involved in research and clinical trials for dermatologic products and devices. She has also recently become the host of the new Condé Nast Entertainment digital series, “Dr. Ava Says” as an Allure Insider.
Dr. Shamban has been interviewed and cited as a source in numerous health and wellness publications, including Women's Health Magazine, The Los Angeles Times, The Huffington Post, The New York Times, Allure, Vanity Fair, EmpowHer, Teen Vogue, and Byrdie,
Shamban has lectured on topics ranging from medical and cosmetic to laser dermatology and practice management:
- "What is Beauty?" Cosmetic Bootcamp Extenders Winter Session, Vegas, NV, December 4–6, 2014.
- "Optimizing Your Practice," 2014 ASDS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, November 6–9, 2014.
- "Soft-tissue Filler and Neuromodulator Mini-workshop," ASDS, Chicago, IL, October, 2013.
She is also a member of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Dermatological Society, the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, the California Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, and the Dermatological and Aesthetic Surgery International League.
- "Heal Your Skin: The Breakthrough Plan for Renewal," ISBN 0470532157
- Dr. Shamban has also authored publications in medical journals and book chapters
- The Potential Role of Topically Applied Heparan Sulfate in the Treatment of Photodamage. Gallo RL, Bucay VW, Shamban AT, Lima-Maribona J, Lewis AB, Ditre CM, Mayoral FA, Gold MH.
- Facial treatment preferences in aesthetically aware women. Narurkar V1, Shamban A, Sissins P, Stonehouse A, Gallagher C.
- Photopneumatic technology used in combination with profusion therapy for the treatment of acne. Narurkar VA1, Gold M, Shamban AT.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2015-03-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- TV.com. "Extreme Makeover". TV.com.
- "3 Overused Skin Care Products".
- "Caring for Your Complexion". The Doctors.
- "Top Dermatologist - Beverly Hills - Santa Monica - Ava MD". Ava MD.
- Sharpe, Kelsey. "Verbatim ─ cataract surgery, boot camp for kids and more". UCLA Newsroom.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-07-28. Retrieved 2015-07-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "AVA SHAMBAN MD – "Extreme Makeover" Dermatologist".
- "You Can Now Microwave Your Underarms for Smooth, Sweat-Free Pits". 10 August 2015.
- "Two Unexpected Places You Should Never Be Caught Without Sunscreen". 6 July 2015.
- "Face the new year with a firmer grasp of cosmetic procedures". 21 December 2015 – via LA Times.
- "Dr. Ava Shamban - HuffPost". www.huffingtonpost.com.
- Singer, Natasha (18 February 2007). "And Thanks to My Agent, My Skin Doctor ..." – via NYTimes.com.
- "Meet Dr. Ava Shamban". Allure Videos.
- Fair, Vanity. "Alternatives to Plastic Surgery and More: Dr. Ava Shamban". Vanities.
- lsherwood (29 October 2014). "Acne Awareness Month: Tips for Beautiful Skin - Acne Info and Tips". EmpowHER.
- Chan, Mi-Anne. "4 Summer Skin Issues (and How to Fix them)".
- "Stop Everything—This New Filler for Acne Scars ACTUALLY Works".
- "The Cosmetic Bootcamp® - Leader in Specialty Training Programs". cosmeticbootcamp.com.
- "ASDS Annual Meeting General Information". www.asds.net.
- MDConferenceFinder.com (19 August 2013). "American Society for Dermatologic Surgery(ASDS) Annual Meeting 2013".
- "Dr. Ava Shamban, MD – Santa Monica, CA - Dermatology on Doximity". Doximity.
- Gallo, RL; Bucay, VW; Shamban, AT; Lima-Maribona, J; Lewis, AB; Ditre, CM; Mayoral, FA; Gold, MH (Jul 2015). "The Potential Role of Topically Applied Heparan Sulfate in the Treatment of Photodamage". J Drugs Dermatol. 14: 669–74. PMID 26151781.
- Narurkar, V; Shamban, A; Sissins, P; Stonehouse, A; Gallagher, C (Apr 2015). "Facial treatment preferences in aesthetically aware women". Dermatol Surg. 41 Suppl 1: S153-60. doi:10.1097/DSS.0000000000000293. PMID 25828040.
- Narurkar, VA; Gold, M; Shamban, AT (Sep 2013). "Photopneumatic technology used in combination with profusion therapy for the treatment of acne". J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 6: 36–40. PMC 3780802. PMID 24062872.