Rubin (right) at the Computers, Freedom and Privacy 2006 conference
|Born||Aviel David Rubin
November 8, 1967
Manhattan, Kansas, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Institutions||Johns Hopkins University
Aviel David "Avi" Rubin (born November 8, 1967) is an expert in systems and networking security. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan and Professor of Computer Science at Johns Hopkins University, Technical Director of the Information Security Institute at Johns Hopkins, Director of ACCURATE, and President and co-founder of Independent Security Evaluators. In 2002, he was elected to the Board of Directors of the USENIX Association for a two-year term.
Rubin is credited with bringing to light vulnerabilities in Premier Election Solutions' (formerly Diebold Election Systems) Accuvote electronic voting machines. In 2006, he published a book on his experiences since this event.
In 2012, drawing on his experience as an expert witness in high-tech litigation, Rubin founded the consultancy Harbor Labs "to provide expertise in legal cases, including testimony, reports, source code review and analysis. My goal is to partner with other experts and to put together a technical team that can support either a plaintiff team or a defense team by de-mystifying technical concepts and presenting the facts in a clear and understandable manner."
As of 2015, Rubin is Director of the Health and Medical Security Lab at Johns Hopkins.
Away from his professional pursuits, Avi is also a self-professed "poker fanatic" and has competed against professional players on the popular Poker Night in America TV show.
- 1994, Ph.D., Computer Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- 1991, M.S.E., Computer Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- 1989, B.S., Computer Science (Honors), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Kohno, T.; A. Stubblefield; A. D. Rubin; D. S. Wallach (2004). "Analysis of an electronic voting system". Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, 2004: 27–40. ISBN 0-7695-2136-3. ISSN 1081-6011. doi:10.1109/SECPRI.2004.1301313.
- Rubin, Aviel David (2006-09-05). Brave New Ballot: The Battle to Safeguard Democracy in the Age of Electronic Voting. Broadway. p. 288. ISBN 0-7679-2210-7.
- Rubin, Avi (Jan 24, 2012). "Harbor Labs - my new venture".
- Health IT Security: What Comes Next
- Official website
- Avi Rubin's JHU home page
- Avi Rubin's research papers
- Avi Rubin at Library of Congress Authorities
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|