|National origin||United Kingdom|
|Designer||Steve Elkins and Neil Hammerton|
£2756 (2003 price)
Design and development
The Java was designed as an advanced recreational hang glider. It was later developed into the "topless" Java Comp 150 which dispensed with the kingpost and top wire rigging, although it retained the lower flying wires. The Java Comp 150 later evolved into the Avian Cheetah competition glider. All Java models are British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association certified.
The Java 155 model is typical of the line and is made from aluminum tubing, with the wing covered in Dacron sailcloth. Its 10.0 m (32.8 ft) span wing has a nose angle of 125° and an aspect ratio of 7.0:1. The acceptable pilot hook-in weight is 70 to 110 kg (150 to 240 lb).
The Java 155 can be folded up to a 31 kg (68 lb) package, 5.9 m (19.4 ft) in length for ground transportation on a car top. It can also be further broken down to a length of 4.6 m (15.1 ft) when required for airline or similar space-restricted travel.
- Java 140
- Current production version, with 9.5 m (31.2 ft) span wing, area of 13.0 m2 (139.9 sq ft), a nose angle of 125deg; and an aspect ratio of 6.5:1. The acceptable pilot hook-in weight is 50 to 80 kg (110 to 180 lb).
- Java 150
- Circa 2003 version no longer in production. Has 10.0 m (32.8 ft) span wing, area of 13.9 m2 (149.6 sq ft), a nose angle of 125deg; and an aspect ratio of 7.3:1. The acceptable pilot hook-in weight is 60 to 95 kg (132 to 209 lb).
- Java 155
- Current production version, with 10.0 m (32.8 ft) span wing, with an area of 14.4 m2 (155 sq ft), a nose angle of 125° and an aspect ratio of 7.0:1.
- Java Comp 150
- Circa 2003 "topless" competition version no longer in production, replaced by the Avian Cheetah. Has 10.0 m (32.8 ft) span wing, with an area of 13.7 m2 (147 sq ft), a nose angle of 125° and an aspect ratio of 7.3:1.
Specifications (Java 155)
Data from Avian
- Crew: one
- Wingspan: 10.0 m (32 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 14.4 m2 (155 sq ft)
- Aspect ratio: 7.0:1
- Empty weight: 29.5 kg (65 lb) rigged ready for flight
- Gross weight: 139.5 kg (308 lb)
- Stall speed: 24 km/h (15 mph; 13 kn)
- Never exceed speed: 113 km/h (70 mph; 61 kn) in smooth air
- Maximum glide ratio: 13:1
- Rate of sink: 0.86 m/s (169 ft/min)