Avio Design Swan
|Status||In production (2013)|
€18,570 (Migrator Swan I, 2011)
Design and development
The aircraft family was designed to comply with the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale microlight category, including the category's maximum gross weight of 450 kg (992 lb). All models feature a cable-braced hang glider-style high-wing, weight-shift controls, a two-seats-in-tandem open cockpit, tricycle landing gear with wheel pants and a single engine in pusher configuration.
The aircraft is made from bolted-together aluminum tubing, with its double surface wing covered in Dacron sailcloth. Typical wings used have a 9.5 to 10.2 m (31.2 to 33.5 ft) span wing, are supported by a single tube-type kingpost and use an "A" frame weight-shift control bar. The standard powerplant is the twin cylinder, air-cooled, two-stroke, dual-ignition 64 hp (48 kW) Rotax 582 engine. Options do not include the 80 hp (60 kW) Rotax 912 engine.
- Classic Swan I
- Basic model with partial cockpit fairing.
- Migrator Swan I
- Model with upgraded features and optional agricultural spray equipment as well as with partial cockpit fairing. Empty weight of 133 kg (293 lb) and a gross weight of 420 kg (926 lb), giving a useful load of 287 kg (633 lb). With full fuel of 70 litres (15 imp gal; 18 US gal) the payload is 237 kg (522 lb).
- Meteor Swan II
- Model with upgraded options as standard equipment and a full cockpit fairing.
- Skyter Swan II
- Model with maximum number of options as standard equipment and a full cockpit fairing. Empty weight of 180 kg (397 lb) and a gross weight of 430 kg (948 lb), giving a useful load of 250 kg (551 lb). With full fuel of 60 litres (13 imp gal; 16 US gal) the payload is 207 kg (456 lb).
Specifications (Migrator Swan I)
Data from Bayerl
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Wingspan: 9.50 m (31 ft 2 in)
- Wing area: 12.3 m2 (132 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 133 kg (293 lb)
- Gross weight: 420 kg (926 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 70 litres (15 imp gal; 18 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 582 twin cylinder, liquid-cooled, two stroke aircraft engine, 48 kW (64 hp)
- Propellers: 6-bladed composite
- Maximum speed: 145 km/h (90 mph; 78 kn)
- Cruise speed: 100 km/h (62 mph; 54 kn)
- Stall speed: 55 km/h (34 mph; 30 kn)
- Rate of climb: 5 m/s (980 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 34.1 kg/m2 (7.0 lb/sq ft)
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 206-207. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X