||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
November 19, 1932 |
|Institutions||Ohio State University|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University|
|Doctoral advisor||Shmuel Agmon|
Avner Friedman (Hebrew: אבנר פרידמן; born November 19, 1932) is Distinguished Professor of Mathematics and Physical Sciences at Ohio State University. His primary field of research is partial differential equations, with interests in stochastic processes, mathematical modeling, free boundary problems, and control theory.
Friedman received his Ph.D. degree in 1956 from the Hebrew University. He was Professor of Mathematics at Northwestern University (1962–1985), a Duncan Distinguished Professor of Mathematics at Purdue University (1985–1987), and a Professor of Mathematics (Regents' Professor from 1996) at the University of Minnesota (1987–2001). He was director of the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications from 1987 to 1997. He was the founding Director of the Mathematical Biosciences Institute at Ohio State University, serving as its first director from 2002–2008.
Friedman has been the Chair of the Board of Mathematical Sciences (1994–1997) and the President of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (1993–1994). He has been awarded the Sloan Fellowship (1962–65), the Guggenheim Fellowship (1966–7), the Stampacchia Prize (1982), the National Science Foundation Special Creativity Award (1983–85; 1991–93). He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (since 1987) and a member of the National Academy of Sciences (since 1993). In 2009 he became a Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
He has been adviser to 27 doctoral students, has published 20 books, and over 400 papers.
- Generalized Functions and Partial Differential Equations. Prentice-Hall (1963).
- Partial Differential Equations of Parabolic Type. Prentice-Hall (1964).
- Partial Differential Equations. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York (1969).
- Foundations of Modern Analysis. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York (1970).
- Advanced Calculus. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York (1971).
- Differential Games. John Wiley, Interscience Publishers (1971).
- Stochastic Differential Equations and Applications. Vol. 1, Academic Press (1975).
- Stochastic Differential Equations and Applications. Vol. 2, Academic Press (1976).
- Variational Principles and Free Boundary Problems, Wiley & Sons (1983).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, IMA Volume 16, Springer-Verlag (1988).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 2, IMA Volume 24, Springer-Verlag (1989).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 3, IMA Volume 31, Springer-Verlag (1990).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 4, IMA Volume 38, Springer-Verlag (1991).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 5, IMA Volume 49, Springer-Verlag (1992).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 6, IMA Volume 57, Springer-Verlag (1993).
- (with W. Littman) Problems in Industrial Mathematics, SIAM, Philadelphia (1994).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 7, IMA Volume 67, Springer-Verlag (1994).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 8, IMA Volume 83, Springer-Verlag (1996).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 9, IMA Volume 88, Springer-Verlag (1997).
- Mathematics in Industrial Problems, Part 10, IMA Volume 100, Springer-Verlag (1998).
- (with D. Ross) Mathematical Models in Photographic Science, Springer-Verlag (2002).
- (with B. Aguda) Models of Cellular Regulation, Oxford, 2008.
- Avner Friedman at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- SIAM Presidents http://www.siam.org/about/more/presidents.php
- SIAM Fellows http://fellows.siam.org/index.php?sort=last
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-12-29.
- Treves, F. (1964). "Review: Generalized functions and partial differential equations, by Avner Friedman" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 70 (1): 94–96. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1964-11032-6.
- Varadhan, S. R. S. (1976). "Review: Stochastic differential equations and applications, by Avner Friedman" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 82 (6): 842–846. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1976-14178-x.