B. Braun Melsungen
This article may contain excessive or inappropriate references to self-published sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Julius Wilhelm Braun|
|Heinz W. Große, CEO|
|Revenue||EUR 6,788.9 million (2017)|
Number of employees
B. Braun Melsungen AG is a German medical and pharmaceutical device company, which has offices and facilities in more than 50 countries. Its headquarters are located in the small town of Melsungen, in central Germany. The company was founded in 1839 and is still owned by the Braun family.
The company originated in the year 1839 as a pharmacy in Melsungen, where it started to sell medical herbs by mail to customers in Germany.
Later, a manufacturing plant was built, where production of several medical products began, mainly surgical sutures. With this product, Braun started to supply to hospitals, and added in the following decades other product lines to its manufacturing program, like intravenous solutions, monitoring apparatus and other medical devices. In the 1960s Braun became highly specialised in plastics for pharmaceutical and medical uses, and developed the first plastic container for I. V. solutions in 1956, as well as many other products for patient care in hospitals.
As the company grew, manufacturing facilities were acquired or established in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech republic, the United States, Brazil and Malaysia. B. Braun acquired Aesculap AG, a Germany-based manufacturer of surgical instruments. B. Braun and its subsidiaries currently employ more than 54,000 people in more than 60 countries.
In 2009 the company was named the best company in Germany to work for.
On an international level, B. Braun is separated into several divisions:
- Hospital Care Division, which handles products related to infusion and injection and other disposable hospital supplies.
- Aesculap Division, which handles products and services related to surgery.
- OPM (Out Patient Market) Division
- B. Braun Avitum Division which handles products and services related to extracorporeal blood treatment.
- TransCare, a home healthcare service operating in Germany, Austria, and the United Kingdom.
- B. Braun Sterilog, a service based in the United Kingdom for the cleaning, decontamination and sterilising of surgical instruments. Sterilog facilities are located in Pudsey, Yardley Green and King's Norton.
The United Kingdom headquarters are located in Chapeltown, just north of Sheffield, in South Yorkshire. The United States headquarters are located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where the subsidiary company is known as B. Braun Medical, Inc. It sells pharmaceutical and medical products. 
B. Braun's Aesculap division, (/æsˈkliːp/), which includes Aesculap, Inc., its American unit, is a manufacturer of surgical equipment. It derives its name from Aesculapius, the Greek and Roman god of medicine and physicians. It manufactures a range of equipment including sutures, handheld surgical instruments, implants, and electrosurgical devices and powers systems. It also provides training to healthcare workers through its Aesculap Academy.
Aesculap was founded in 1867 in Tuttlingen, Germany by Gottfried Jetter. Aesculap, Inc., its American division, was founded in 1977 in Center Valley, Pennsylvania. Aesculap AG was incorporated into the B. Braun Group in 1998.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG (international website)
- B. Braun Medical, Inc. (U.S.)
- Aesculap division (international website)
- Aesculap, Inc. (U.S.)
- B. Braun Infusion Systems (U.S.)
- B. Braun OEM Division (U.S.)
- "Facts & Figures". bbraun.com. Archived from the original on 18 January 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Group Management Report" (PDF). bbraun.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 April 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Dietz, Peter (March 4, 2009). "Der Medizintechnik-Konzern B.Braun ist laut einer Studie bester Arbeitgeber der Republik (A study names the medical company B. Braun as the best employer in the Republic)". Frankfurter Rundschau. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Networking Expertise". bbraun.com. Archived from the original on 2013-02-02. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "B. Braun TransCare". B. Braun Melsungen website. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "About Us". Retrieved 1 Feb 2014.
- Corn, David (April 9, 2015). "Mother Jones".
- "Aesculap, Inc. Company Profile". hoovers.com. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "Company Overview of Aesculap, Inc". Healthcare Equipment and Supplies. businessweek.com. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "From Druggist To Global Player". Take the time for a short trip through more than 170 years of successful company and family history. bbraun.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-23. Retrieved 12 February 2013.