|Full name||SportClub Veendam|
Black Yellow Angels
|Founded||4 September 1894|
|Dissolved||25 March 2013|
SC Veendam (Dutch pronunciation: [ɛs seː veːnˈdɑm]) was a Dutch football club based in Veendam, Groningen province, established in 1894 and dissolved in 2013. The club's official colours were black and yellow.
The club was founded on 4 September 1894, which makes it one of the oldest professional Dutch football clubs. The club's first name was Look-Out, which was changed to Prinses Juliana Veendam (Princess Juliana Veendam) in 1909, which soon became simply Veendam. Veendam became professional in 1954, when the Dutch professional league was introduced. The professional branch of the club left the club in 1974, to form Sportclub Veendam. The amateur branch became Veendam 1894. Sportclub Veendam would later become Betaalde Voetbal Veendam, more commonly known as BV Veendam.
The club has spent the largest part of its professional existence (42 seasons) in the Dutch Eerste Divisie. The club has spent six seasons in the Second Division, and has played in the Eredivisie for two seasons: 1986–87 (17th) and 1988–89 (18th).
During the 2009–10 season, a number of financial issues emerged at Veendam, and on 28 April 2010 (only days after the end of the 2009–10 Eerste Divisie) the club was requested to be declared bankrupt due to excessive debts. On 12 May 2010, BV Veendam was ultimately declared bankrupt, an event that threatened to put an end to the club's 115-year history. However, the verdict was later overturned on appeal, after the club managed to collect enough money to pay off most of its debts before the deadline of 2 June. In 2011, the club changed its name from BV Veendam to SC Veendam. Veendam's main rival was FC Emmen from Emmen. Renewed funding problems made the club file for bankruptcy, which was declared on 25 March 2013.
Below is a table with Veendam's domestic results since the introduction of professional football in 1956.
Notes and references
- Reddingsactie mislukt: SC Veendam is definitief failliet, Voetbal International, 2 April 2013
- "Last chance for Veendam football club". DutchNews.nl. 29 April 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Veendam na 115 jaar ten onder" (in Dutch). Jupiler League. 12 May 2010. Archived from the original on 16 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Sluitende begroting Veendam" (in Dutch). Jupiler League. 2 June 2010. Archived from the original on 9 June 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Rechter stelt Veendam in gelijk" (in Dutch). Jupiler League. 4 June 2010. Archived from the original on 8 June 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 June 2015. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- BV Veendam and AGOVV Apeldoorn were deducted three points for financial irregularities
- Three points deducted during the season