Babilonas (shopping mall)
|Opening date||28 August 2007|
|Management||Justinas Lapinskas, Managing Director|
|No. of stores and services||78|
|No. of anchor tenants|
|Total retail floor area||17,981,61 m2 (21,813,16 m2 overall)|
|No. of floors||3|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shops and entertainment businesses
In the shopping mall there are:
- Three restaurants and a cafeteria.
- Cinema (Forum Cinemas Babilonas, 3 cinema halls).
- Separate hall for furniture sales (4590 sq. m).
- Hall for entertainment and events (967 sq. m). Here, depending on the season various entertainment is offered (ice rink, trampoline jumping, sailing balls). Additionally, various events, sporting competitions and gigs take place here.
- Electronics store (Topo centras, 1545 sq. m).
- Chinese goods store (Azijos centras, 800 sq. m).
- Food store (Solo, 1000 sq. m).
- Various other stores and entertainment places (up to 400 sq. m): clothes, sports and lifestyle, drinks, books.
Furniture retail hall, cinema and the electronics store are the largest in northeastern Lithuania (Aukštaitija).
The construction of the shopping mall started in 2006 and ended in 2007.
In the August 2008 the mall was expanded: the cinema and several additional shops were opened.
In 2007-2008 the primary market catered by the mall was that of household goods: furniture, construction, interior décor. Other primary target market was that for entertainment (cinema, ice rink).
Since year 2009 the market orientation changed: the number of interior goods stores lowered somewhat and at the same time number of stores selling soft goods such as clothing and shoes. In 2010 a supermarket (food store) opened for the first time in Babilonas.
Image and architecture
As the name “Babilonas” means Babylon, the interior of Babilonas is modeled after the ancient Middle East. On the walls over the shop entrances there are frescoes with bulls and ancient people. In front of main entrance there are improvised columns. Inside a shopping center in a special terrarium a crocodile, named by children Babilonijus, lived for several years.