Baby (2007 film)
|Directed by||Juwan Chung|
|Produced by||Jason Serrato|
|Written by||Felix Chan
|Music by||Paul Stottler|
Baby is a 2007 independent film, considered part of the hood film genre. The film tells the story of an Asian-American youth's gang life in East Los Angeles, set during the mid '80s to the early '90s. Directed by Juwan Chung and starring David Huynh, Tzi Ma, Feodor Chin, Ron Yuan and Kenneth Choi. It has been called "the Asian American Boyz n the Hood" by the San Francisco Chronicle. The film won Best Narrative Feature at the 2007 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival and a Special Jury Award for "Outstanding Newcomer" for star David Huynh at the same film festival that year, and a Best Director award for Director Juwan Chung at the 2008 DisOrient Film Festival. It was also distributed by Lionsgate.
Baby is the tragic story of an Asian-American youth trapped in the seedy, dead-end world of hostess bars, pool halls and drug dens that characterize East Los Angeles gang life in the 1980s. Baby (Ryan Andres) is a motherless, poverty stricken 11-year-old with only an alcoholic father (Tzi Ma) to raise him. Things only get worse when he's taken under the wing of his gangster neighbor Tommy (Ron Yuan), who leads him down a path that lands him in Juvenile Hall for manslaughter, with Benny (Feodor Chin) ostracizing Baby from the group. After seven violent years in prison, Baby (now portrayed by David Huynh) is released, but struggles to fit into a society that rejects him, and soon returns to a life of drugs, street gangs and murder, while Benny has risen through the ranks to become the local Crime Boss for a side of the Wah Ching Triad. Only his childhood friends and a lost love offer him any hope of turning his life around before it's too late.
|Peter Cho||Fat Petey|
|Janet Linn (as Linn Ko)||Arianna|
|Ryan Andres||Young Baby|
|Roshon Fegan||Young Robbie|
|Matthew Der||Young Blackfish|
|Austin Lee||Young Fat Petey|
|Shannon Yang||Young Sammy|
|Nathan Jung||Restaurant Guy|
|Robert Wu||Wah Ching #1|
|Year||Award||Category / Recipient||Result||Ref.|
|2007||DisOrient Asian American Film Festival Award||Best Director - Juwan Chung||Won|||
|VC FilmFest Award||Best Narrative - Juwan Chung||Won|||
|Best New Actor - David Huynh||Won|||
- SF Gate, Current DVD Releases, http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/CURRENT-DVD-RELEASES-3779484.php
- Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film festival, Award Winners, http://asianfilmfestla.org/2012/fest-info/award-winners/
- Baby, 2008 DisOrient Film Festival, http://www.disorientfilm.org/2008/films/baby.htm
- Baby, Gangs of Los Angeles, Quantum Wire, http://quantumwire.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/baby-gangs-of-los-angeles/
- "'Baby' - Gangs of Los Angeles". Quantum Wire. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Awards for Juwan Chung". IMDb.com: Juwan Chung - Awards. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Awards for David Huynh". IMDb.com: David Huynh - Awards. Retrieved 2011-01-16.