Baby (2010 film)
|Directed by||Daniel Mulloy|
|Produced by||Ohna Falby|
|Written by||Daniel Mulloy|
|Edited by||Dan Robinson|
|Distributed by||Film Four|
|Language||English & Bosnian|
Baby is a Brixton set drama short film, written and directed by Daniel Mulloy. Baby premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and went on to win multiple awards including the coveted British Independent Film Award.
A young woman (Arta Dobroshi) witnesses another woman being robbed, on a bustling London street. She watches and realizing no one else will intervene the young woman tries to stop the mugging. She bravely confronts the thief (Daniel Kaluuya) only to find that he follows her home. As their journeys continue each is revealed to be struggling with their own issues of pain and intimacy.
Baby is Daniel Mulloy's follow up to his highly successful trilogy of short films that include BAFTA Award winning Antonio's Breakfast, European Film Award Nominee Dad and Slamdance Film Festival Grand Jury winner Son.
The film was based on an event Mulloy witnessed:
I travel routinely on the subway and get off at the same stop every day. I then walk a hundred meters to the bus stop. Like most people, I keep to myself, comfortable in my own world. I was in this routine when I saw a woman being pick-pocketed. I interrupted the thief just as Sara does in Baby. It turned out to be a crew working together - they pulled out knives. The bubble of my routine was popped. I wanted to put my lead character into a similar scenario, then watch as she is followed onto the bus by one of the guys.
Baby premiered at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, to international critical acclaim and in the UK it went on to win the 2010 Edinburgh Film Festival and the British Independent Film Awards. The film received positive critical acclaim; Filmmaker wrote that the film "will haunt you well after its final frame goes dark."
Baby was ranked third most successful international short film in the world for the year 2011 by Short Film Magazine.
- premiered Sundance Film Festival 2010
- Best Short Film British Independent Film Awards
- Golden Dragon for Best Director Kraków Film Festival
- Grand Jury Award Edinburgh International Film Festival
- Best Film Cork Film Festival
- Best International Film Flickerfest
- Festival Prize Kansas City FilmFest
- Best Short Film St. Louis International Film Festival
- European Film Promotion - BABY Retrieved January, 2013.
- Daniel Mulloy - Awards - IMDB Retrieved January, 2013.
- [films.http://www.film4.com/reviews/2010/baby Film Four website] Retrieved January, 2013.
- Cinema Extreme Green Lit Projects - The Burea Retrieved January, 2013
- Daniel Mulloy : Short Shot Sundance(Jan 27, 2011) Retrieved January, 2013 poster by Landon Zakheim.
- Landon Zakheim, "Short Shot: Daniel Mulloy", Sundance Institute, 27 January 2011 (Retrieved January, 2013)
- Filmmaker Magazine by Brandon Harris Retrieved January, 2013
- Review of award-winning short films in 2011 a brief appraisal ll 18/03/2012, Short Film magazine (Retrieved December, 2014)
- Access Cinema Retrieved January, 2013.