Bache-Gabrielsen is a brand of cognac that is over 110 years old. It is a medium size fourth generation family company that is present both on the Scandinavian markets and elsewhere. Today, it is the top selling cognac in Norway, selling over one million bottles annually.
In 1903, the 20 year old Norwegian Lieutenant from Holmestrand, Norway, Thomas Bache-Gabrielsen, left the army and traveled to the city of Cognac in order to acquire some practical working experience to take over one day his father's fine wine & spirit store.
Following his arrival in France, Thomas Bache-Gabrielsen partnered with Peter Anton Rustad to purchase the company Dupuy, a local cognac house established since 1852. In 1905, they founded their own cognac house under the name Rustad & Bache-Gabrielsen, in addition to the existing name Dupuy. Their connections with Scandinavia were extremely good which allowed them to acquire there their first stable markets.
In 1906, Thomas settled in Cognac for good when he married Miss Odette Villard. With their marriage and the new business, any plans to return permanently to Norway were abandoned. The couple had three sons, René, who took over the running of the company, Eric, who became a lawyer, and Guy, who became a doctor. Thomas remained a Norwegian citizen and was often called home to undertake refresher military service. He also maintained contact with his Norwegian family.
In 1930, René, the eldest son of Thomas Bache-Gabrielsen and his wife Odette joined the company. He became the head of Bache-Gabrielsen cognac in 1942. In 1968, Christian Bache-Gabrielsen, grandson of Thomas entered the business and became general manager in 1985.
While growing in size, the company Bache-Gabrielsen also developed its own identity during this period by hiring in 1991 Jean-Philippe Bergier as Maitre de Chai (Cellar Master). Jean-Philippe Bergier has since expressed his art as the “Nez” of Bache-Gabrielsen and given an authentic and singular identity to Bache-Gabrielsen cognacs.
In 2009, Hervé Bache-Gabrielsen, 4th generation of the family officially became the general manager of the company. This period also marks the beginning of a new era of expansion for the brand outside of its traditional Scandinavian market. In 2012, Bache-Gabrielsen opened an office in Hong Kong to develop its Asian activities. In 2016, it launched its Natur & Eleganse line on the American market.
The brand Dupuy is still owned by the Bache-Gabrielsen family.
Bache-Gabrielsen Cognac lines are divided between classical and Natur & Eleganse line:
- Tre Kors VS
- XO Fine Champagne
- XO Carafe (Decanter)
- Sérénité Extra
- Hors d’Age
Natur & Eleganse Line: the goal of this line is to return to the roots of cognac before the expansion of modern cognac in the late 19th century. The taste should allow the consumer to discover the authentic cognac, respectful of the terroir and nature.
- Bølgen & Bergier: A line of three cognac put together by Toralf Bølgen, one of Norway’s top wine and spirit connoisseurs, and Jean-Philippe Bergier, Bache-Gabrielsen’s Cellar Master, and named after their daughters. Anna, Maria and Selma are Toralf Bølgen’s daughters, while their friend Solène is the daughter of Jean-Philippe Bergier.
- Pure & Rustic: A line of four cognac created in 2016. Each cognac has a specific aroma and taste: Secret Garden (floral), Fruity Harvest (fruity), Golden Wood (wood), Spicy Trip (spices). This new line specifically targets the French Market.
- Très Vieux Pineau des Charentes: Pineau des Charentes is a blend of fresh grape juice rich in sugar, and very young cognac with high alcohol level, made on the very day of the harvest. Bache-Gabrielsen’s Pineau des Charentes has been aged more than 15 years in oak barrels.
Bache-Gabrielsen has won multiple awards around the world; a non-exhaustive list includes:
- 3 Kors: Gold Medal at World Cognac Awards UK, 2015
- 3 Kors: Double Gold Medal at San Francisco World Spirit Competition USA, 2011
- VSOP: Gold - Best in Class at International Spirit Challenge UK, 2015
- VSOP: Double Gold Medal at San Francisco World Spirit Competition USA, 2010
- XO Fine Champagne: Gold - Best in Class at International Wine & Spirit Competition UK, 2011
- XO Fine Champagne: Gold Medal at San Francisco World Spirit Competition USA, 2010
- XO Carafe: Gold Medal at Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition China, 2015
- XO Carafe: Master Award at Cognac Masters Drinks Business UK, 2015
- Sérénité Extra: Double Gold Medal - Best in Class at San Francisco World Spirit Competition USA, 2016
- Sérénité Extra: Gold Medal at Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition China, 2015
- Hors d’Age: Gold – Best Superior Quality Cognac at World Cognac Awards UK, 2015
- Hors d’Age: Gold Outstanding Medal at International Wine & Spirit Competition UK, 2014
Bache-Gabrielsen has numerous fan clubs essentially in Northern Europe:
- "Cognac Bache-Gabrielsen, "3 Kors" VS, 700 ml". Winestyle. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Kontacter - Bache-Gabrielsens venner". Bache-Gabrielsen. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "cognac fabrication". Ths Bache Gabrielsen. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Invest HK Client Profiles" (PDF). Invest HK. The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. November 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Niedercorn, Franck (19 February 2016). "Bache-Gabrielsen:Norvège sur Charente". Les Echos. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Premium cognac producer". Dupay Cognac. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Report by KPMG in Poland "Luxury Market in Poland", 2015 edition" (PDF). The Luxury Goods Market in Poland. KPMG. 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Our Product Family". Bache-Gabrielsen. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Pure & Rustic". Bache-Gabrielsen. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Bache-Gabrielsen 3 Kors - Gold Medal". World Cognac Awards. The Drinks Report. 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "2011 SpiritsBrand" (PDF). 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "2015 Results::International Spirits Challenge 2016". 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "2010 SpiritsBrand" (PDF). 2010 Results by Brand. 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "IWSC|International Wine & Spirits Competition". IWSC. The International Wine & Spirit Competition Ltd. 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "2015|HKIWSC". 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Hayes, Annie (3 September 2015). "The Global Cognac Masters 2015 results". International Bartenders Association. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "San Francisco World Spirits Competition" (PDF). 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Bache-Gabrielsen Hors D'age - Best Superior Quality Cognac". 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Gold Outstanding Award - IWSC 2014". Messe Düsseldorf GmbH. 12 February 2014. Retrieved 14 April 2016.