Back and Fourth (Lindisfarne album)
|Back and Fourth|
|Studio album by Lindisfarne|
|Label|| Mercury Records
Back and Fourth is a 1978 album by English rock band Lindisfarne. Released in nine countries on three record labels, it reached position 22 on the UK album charts and contained the successful single "Run for Home".
The album was produced by Gus Dudgeon and recorded between February and April 1978. It was the first album to feature the reformed original Lindisfarne lineup after they had broken up in 1973, hence the pun in the title that the band was "back" on their fourth album.
Release, chart performance and reception
Back and Fourth was released in June 1978 in the UK by Mercury Records. It spent eleven weeks in the UK album charts, reaching a highest position of No. 22, with a total of three weeks in the top 25. It was also released in eight other countries around the world on three different record labels.
Although it was a chart success, the album has not received entirely positive reviews. Bruce Eder of Allmusic retrospectively gave the album just two stars out of five, stating that it "isn't really that good a record, lacking the imagination and spirit of experimentation that highlighted their early albums". However, he did praise "Run For Home" as "Alan Hull's best song to date".
Three tracks from the album were released as singles. The first, "Run For Home", was released a few weeks before the album. It proved very popular, reaching No. 10 during a 15-week stint in the UK charts. It also became the band's first hit in the USA, reaching #33. The string arrangement features a prominent cor anglais. The second, "Juke Box Gypsy", was less successful. It was released in October 1978 and spent four weeks in the charts, peaking at #56. A third track, "Warm Feeling", was released in early 1979 but failed to chart.
- All tracks credited to Alan Hull except where indicated
- "Juke Box Gypsy" - 2:23
- "Warm Feeling" (Ray Jackson, Charlie Harcourt) - 4:05
- "Woman" - 3:26
- "Only Alone" - 3:44
- "Run For Home" - 4:21
- "Kings Cross Blues" (Ray Jackson, Charlie Harcourt) - 3:45
- "Get Wise" - 3:08
- "You And Me" - 3:05
- "Marshall Riley's Army" - 3:39
- "Angels at Eleven" - 2:55
- "Make Me Want To Stay" - 3:55
- Alan Hull - vocals, acoustic, electric and 12-string guitars, keyboards
- Ray Jackson - vocals, mandolin, harmonica
- Rod Clements - electric bass, acoustic, electric and 12-string guitars, violin
- Simon Cowe - lead, acoustic and 12-string guitars, mandolin, vocals
- Ray Laidlaw - drums
- Bruce Baxter - string arrangement
- Alan Schmidt - design concept, art direction
- Back and Fourth Archived 25 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. lindisfarne.co.uk
- Lindisfarne - The Official Website - History
- Chart Stats - Lindisfarne - Back and Fourth
- Discography - LPs lindisfarne.de
- Allmusic - Back and Fourth > Overview
- Chart Stats - Lindisfarne - Run For Home
- Run for Home (song by Lindisfarne) - Music VF
- Chart Stats - Lindisfarne - Juke Box Gypsy
- Wells, David (2006). Meet me on the Corner: Lindisfarne the collection (CD booklet). Lindisfarne. Sanctuary Records Group.