Back to Life (TV series)
|Back to Life|
|Directed by||Christopher Sweeney|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||23–25 minutes|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Original release||15 April 2019 –|
Back to Life is a British dark comedy-drama co-written by Laura Solon and Daisy Haggard and starring Haggard and Adeel Akhtar that premiered on BBC One on 15 April 2019. On 10 November 2019, the series premiered in the United States on Showtime. The first series received critical acclaim with many reviews praising the performance and writing of Haggard highly.
On 19 November 2019, Back to Life was renewed for a second series.
Miri Matteson has just returned home to Hythe, Kent, after serving an 18-year prison sentence. As Miri attempts to rebuild her life, she forms a friendship with Billy, who cares for the elderly woman next door.
- Daisy Haggard as Miri Matteson
- Geraldine James as Caroline Matteson, Miri's mother
- Richard Durden as Oscar Matteson, Miri's father
- Adeel Akhtar as Billy, Miri's budding love interest
- Jo Martin as Janice, Miri's parole officer
- Jamie Michie as Dom, Miri's now married pre-prison boyfriend and Caroline's secret affair
- Christine Bottomley as Mandy, Miri's now married pre-prison best friend
- Liam Williams as Nathan, Miri's boss at the fish and chip shop
- Souad Adel Faress as Anna, Billy's wife
- Imogen Gurney as Lara
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Episode 1"||Christopher Sweeney||Daisy Haggard and Laura Solon||15 April 2019|
|2||"Episode 2"||Christopher Sweeney||Daisy Haggard and Laura Solon||15 April 2019|
|3||"Episode 3"||Christopher Sweeney||Daisy Haggard and Laura Solon||15 April 2019|
|4||"Episode 4"||Christopher Sweeney||Daisy Haggard and Laura Solon||15 April 2019|
|5||"Episode 5"||Christopher Sweeney||Daisy Haggard and Laura Solon||15 April 2019|
|6||"Episode 6"||Christopher Sweeney||Daisy Haggard and Laura Solon||15 April 2019|
Harry and Jack Williams are the executive producers of Back to Life with Sarah Hammond. They previously produced the BBC show Fleabag. It was filmed in Kent including Hythe and Dungeness and at The Britannia Inn pub in Dungeness. Filming also took place at Lade car park in Lydd-on-Sea, where various scenes were filmed around the fish and chip van, as well as in Streatham Common, London. Production for Back to Life also visited Abbot's Cliff sound mirror in Dover, on the top of the White Cliffs.
The show has received critical acclaim. The first series holds a 100% approval rating on critic website Rotten Tomatoes based on 25 reviews with Haggard’s performance especially receiving positive comments. The first series was also compared positively to critically acclaimed tragicomedy Fleabag with which it shares producers. On Metacritic the series has a score of 87 out of 100 based on 13 reviews indicating "universal acclaim."
- "Back To Life: Episodes' Daisy Haggard on playing a 'relentless optimist'". 12 April 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Showtime(R) Programming Advisory". The Futon Critic. 19 September 2019.
- "Showtime(R) Orders Second Season of "Back to Life"". The Futon Critic. 19 November 2019.
- "Back to Life (TV Series 2019–) Full Cast & Crew". imdb.com. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "When is Back to Life on BBC1 and BBC3? Who's in the cast and what's it about?". Radio Times. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Back to Life – Series 1 (2019)". Kent Film Office. Kent Film Office. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- Kent Film Office. "Kent Film Office Back to Life Article".