A barge being loaded into a Baco Liner ship in 1994
|Operators:||Seerederei Bacoliner GmbH|
|Length:||205 m (673 ft)|
|Beam:||28.5 m (94 ft)|
|Draught:||6.65 m (21.8 ft)|
|Ramps:||2 bow doors|
|Speed:||15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)|
|Capacity:||12 barges with 800 tonnes each|
BaCo Liner an abbreviation for 'Ba'rge - 'Co'ntainer - Carrier, was a shipping service between Europe and Africa owned by Seerederei Bacoliner GmbH of Duisburg, Germany. It used a fleet of specialized barge carrying LASH vessels which have a very unusual design: they carry both conventional shipping containers, and barges that are loaded through twin doors in the bow, a kind of 'float in-float out' arrangement.
This system of barges inside a larger ship allowed cargo to be discharged while at anchor mid-stream in African ports, avoiding port delays. The barges could be loaded up to 800 tonnes each, 12 could be loaded per ship. Container capacity was 500-650 TEU.
Each vessel was approx. 205 m long, 28.5 m beam, operating on a loaded draught of 6.65 m. Gross tonnage 22345 tonnes, deadweight 21800 tonnes including 12 barges with 800 tonnes each. Service speed was 15 knots.
Fleet and fate
The fleet comprised the three barge carriers: BACO-LINER 1, BACO-LINER 2 and BACO-LINER 3, all completed between 1979 and 1984 by Thyssen Nordseewerke GmbH at Emden. They sailed under the Liberian flag, serving ports between Nouadhibou, Mauritania and Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
BACO-LINER 3 was scrapped in Alang Beach, India, in July 2012. BACO-LINER 2 to follow there in June 2013 and BACO-LINER 1 in August 2013. Vessel tracking services now list all three Baco-liners as scrapped.
- Romahn, K (1981). "Baco Liner--a New Type of Ship With Structural Members of Interest With Respect to Welding". Deutscher Verband fur Schweisstechnik. Deutscher Verband für Schweißen und verwandte Verfahren e.V.: 68–72. Archived from the original on 4 April 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Seereederei Bacoliner GmbH - Slideshow". Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- Sonstegaard, Miles H. (March 1987). "World standards for shipborne barges". Transportation Research Part A: General. Elsevier. 21 (2): 139–144. doi:10.1016/0191-2607(87)90006-9.
- Tolofari, S. R. (1981). "The potential for barge-carrying ships: A case study". Transportation Planning and Technology. 12 (2): 89–104. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "CN Shipping Ltd / Services / BACO Liner". Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "CHRONOLOGY-Nigerian kidnappings of foreigners in oil delta". Reuters. 26 March 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Lloyd's Register of Shipping". 2005.