Bagrat de Bagration y de Baviera
12 January 1949|
|Died||20 March 2017
|Father||Prince Irakli Bagration-Mukhrani|
|Mother||Infanta Doña Maria de las Mercedes de Baviera y Borbón|
|Religion||Georgian Orthodox Church|
Prince Don Bagrat de Bagration y de Baviera, also Prince Bagrat Bagrationi-Mukhraneli and Prince Bagrat Bagration-Moukhransky (12 January 1949 – 20 March 2017) was a member of the Bagration dynasty which once ruled the Kingdom of Georgia in the Caucasus and a relative of the royal family of Spain.
He was born in Madrid, Spain on 2 February 1949 and named Bagrat Juan María de Fátima de Todos los Santos, the third child of Prince Irakli Bagration-Mukhrani (1909-1977) by his third wife, Infanta Doña María de las Mercedes de Baviera y Borbón (1911-1953), a niece of King Alphonso XIII. His godparents were Don Juan and Princess Doña Mercedes de Borbón-Dos Sicilias y Orléans, Count and Countess of Barcelona. His maternal great-grandfather was King Alfonso XII. Prince Jorge de Bagration, a Spanish race car driver and pretender to the throne of Georgia, was his elder half brother.
Although born in Tbilisi, his father left Georgia after completing his studies there, lived briefly in Italy and France, but acquired Spanish citizenship in 1947. His mother had been born in Madrid, and although part of her youth was spent in exile in the Basses Pyrenees of France, Bagrat was raised, along with Jorge and his elder sister Princess Mariam (born 1947), by his widowed father in Madrid and at the Palacio de Santillana del Mar in Santander.
Bagrat married Doña María del Carmen de Ulloa y Suelves (b. 6 May 1953) on 12 November 1976 at San Jerónimo el Real in Madrid. María del Carmen was the daughter of Gonzalo Maria de Ulloa y Ramírez de Haro, Marqués de Castro-Serna, Count de Adanero and of Doña María Josefa de Suelves y Ponsich. From this marriage were born:
- H.R.H Prince Juan Jorge Bagration-Mukhransky, born on 18 August 1977 in Madrid; married Florianne del Rio Thorn in 2003, the couple divorced without descendants in 2008. Juan remarried, in 2014, the Georgian model H.R.H Princess Kristine Dzidziguri-Bagration -Mukhransky
- Princess Inés Bagration-Moukhransky, born on 4 of December 1980 in Madrid.
- Lundy, Darryl (10 May 2003). "Bagrat Bagration-Moukhransky, Prince Bagration-Moukhransky". The Peerage. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Montgomery-Massingberd, Hugh. Burke’s Royal Families of the World: Volume II. Burke's Peerage. 1980. pp. 62, 65. ISBN 0-85011-029-7
- Almanach de Gotha, Bayern (Bavière), (Gotha: Justus Perthes, 1942), p. 22, 46, (French).
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser III. "Bagration-Muchransky". C.A. Starke Verlag, 1955, pp. 247, 249. (German).
- "Bragat [sic] de Bragation [sic] de Mukhrani y de Baviera". El País (in Spanish). 17 November 1976. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Le Petit Gotha. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery. Paris. 2002. pp. 482-485. (French) ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
- "La boda rondeña del príncipe georgiano Juan de Bagration". ABC.es (in Spanish). 10 May 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.