Head of Chambers
|Robert Newlinds SC|
Banco Chambers is a chamber of barristers in Sydney, Australia, specialising in commercial litigation and public law. The chambers is located on the 5th floor of the Reserve Bank Building (65 Martin Place, Sydney) and the 9th floor of Chifley Tower (2 Chifley Square, Sydney).
The floor has 30 members of varying levels of seniority. The members of the floor who are senior counsel are: Tom Blackburn SC, Peter Brereton SC, Andrew Coleman SC, Robert Dick SC, Richard McHugh SC, Cameron Moore SC and Robert Newlinds SC.
Although Banco Chambers has core practice areas, its barristers area able to practise in any area of civil law.
Members of Banco Chambers have appeared in High Court cases on a number of areas of the law, including:
- Levy v Victoria ("Duck shooting case") and Lange v Australian Broadcasting Corporation (implied freedom of speech);
- CSR Ltd v Cigna Insurance Australia Ltd (forum non conveniens in private international law);
- Sons of Gwalia Ltd v Margaretic (shareholders' claim against companies in a winding up);
- Friend v Brooker (equitable contribution);
- Roxborough v Rothmans of Pall Mall Australia Ltd (restitution);
- Ha v New South Wales (duties of excise);
- Arnold v Minister Administering the Water Management Act 2000 (constitutional validity of water management legislation);
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation v O'Neill (interlocutory injunctions); and,
- John Fairfax Publications Pty Ltd v Rivkin (defamation).
Many members of the floor, along with other senior members of the profession including current and past judges, have contributed to a forthcoming two volume series examining legal history entitled Historical Foundations of Australian Law and have given lectures upon their topics in a course to be conducted at the University of Sydney.
- Justin Gleeson SC, the Solicitor-General of Australia
- Fabian Gleeson SC, a judge of the New South Wales Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of New South Wales 
- Christine Adamson SC, a judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Simon Kerr SC
- Media Release by the Attorney-General of the Commonwealth of Australia
- "Barristers". Banco Chambers.
- "Contact Us". Banco Chambers.
- "Core Practice Areas". Banco Chambers.
- Chambers and Partners, Dispute Resolution: The Bar: Australia
- Spigelman, James J. (14 November 2008). "Launch of Rediscovering Rhetoric by the Honourable J. J. Spigelman AC, Chief Justice of New South Wales, Banco Court, Sydney, 14 November 2008" (PDF).
- Attorney-General's Press Release 
- NSW Bar Association Media Release
- Swearing in speech for the Honourable Justice Gleeson, 29 April 2013
- Swearing in speech for the Honourable Justice Adamson, 17 October 2011
- Eulogy for Simon Kerr SC