Barbados v. Trinidad and Tobago
|Barbados v. Trinidad and Tobago|
Logo of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
|Court||An arbitral tribunal constituted under Annex VII to the 1982 United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea|
|Full case name||An Arbitration before an arbitral tribunal constituted pursuant to article 287, and in accordance with Annex VII, of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea between Barbados and The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago|
|Decided||April 11, 2006|
|Judges sitting||Judge Stephen M. Schwebel, president
Mr. Ian Brownlie CBE QC
Professor Vaughan Lowe
Professor Francisco Orrego Vicuña
Sir Arthur Watts
|Decision by||Unanimous panel|
Barbados v. Trinidad and Tobago was a 2006 arbitral case between Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago in which the tribunal resolved the maritime border dispute between the two countries. The dispute was arbitrated before an arbitral tribunal constituted under Annex VII of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, in which the Permanent Court of Arbitration served as registry.
In 1990, Venezuela and Trinidad and Tobago signed a maritime boundary treaty. The treaty purported to assign to Trinidad and Tobago ocean territory that Barbados claimed as its own. The countries were unable to resolve their dispute for 14 years. In 2004, Barbados elected to force the issue into binding arbitration under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. The arbitral tribunal heard the case.
The tribunal's award was issued on 11 April 2006. The boundary was set nearly midway between the land of the two island countries. Although neither country's claimed boundary was adopted by the court, the boundary that was set was closer to that claimed by Trinidad and Tobago. Both countries claimed victory after the arbitration award was announced.
- "Arbitral Tribunal Award (archived)" (PDF). PCA. April 11, 2006.
- Dawne Bennett, "Barbados and Trinidad both claim victory in maritime dispute ruling", Caribbean News Net, 2006-04-13.
- Andon Blake and Gary A. Campbell, "Conflict over flying fish: The dispute between Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados", Marine Policy, vol. 31, no. 3, May 2007, pp. 327–335.
- Barbados/Trinidad and Tobago Award, Tribunal's President H.E. Stephen M. Schwebel, published in XXVII UNRIAA 147-251 and PCA Award Series and Cambridge 2010 and Key Boundaries
- Analysis of Barbados/Trinidad and Tobago under Presidency of H.E. Judge Stephen M. Schwebel and Award's Map and Coalter Lathrop Map and 22 IJMCL 7-60 2007 and NILOS and NILOS Online Papers and NILOS New Website and 39 GWILR pp.573-620 2007 No.3 and Full Text and Catalogue
- Barbados Submission to CLCS and 22nd CLCS 18 August-12 September 2008
- INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY CONSULTANTS
- How Trinidad Recognised Venezuela’s Claim to Most Of Guyana’s Land 18 June 2007, Notes From The Margin