Barbara A. Perry
|Barbara A. Perry|
Barbara Perry at the U.S. Supreme Court attending award ceremony for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, June 29, 2009.
January 24, 1956 |
Louisville, KY, U.S.
|Occupation||Professor, Author, National Media Commentator|
Barbara Ann Perry (born January 24, 1956), a U.S. Supreme Court and presidency expert, as well as a biographer of the Kennedys, is a Senior Fellow at the University of Virginia's Miller Center and is the former Carter Glass Professor of Government and founding director of the Center for Civic Renewal at Sweet Briar College in Virginia. In 1994-95 she was the Judicial Fellow at the U.S. Supreme Court, where she received the Tom C. Clark Award as the outstanding fellow that year. Her duties included researching and drafting speeches for Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist. Dr. Perry was the Senior Fellow for civics education at the University of Louisville's McConnell Center in 2006-07 and now serves as a Non-Resident Fellow there. She earned a Ph.D. in government from the University of Virginia, an M.A. in politics, philosophy, and economics from Hertford College, Oxford, and a B.A. in political science, with highest honors, from the University of Louisville.
Professor Perry's eight books include The Supremes: An Introduction to the United States Supreme Court Justices, 2nd ed. (Peter Lang 2009); The Michigan Affirmative Action Cases (University Press of Kansas 2007); Jacqueline Kennedy: First Lady of the New Frontier (University Press of Kansas 2004); The Priestly Tribe: The Supreme Court's Image in the American Mind (Praeger 1999; winner of a 2001 Choice Award); A "Representative" Supreme Court? The Impact of Race, Religion, and Gender on Appointments (Greenwood 1991); and, with Henry Abraham, Freedom and the Court: Civil Rights and Liberties in the United States, 8th edition (University Press of Kansas 2003).
Perry is currently researching two new books: Catholics and the Supreme Court (Georgetown University Press) and Rose: Mother of the Kennedy Image (Norton). The author of more than 30 articles, Dr. Perry has lectured throughout the United States and is a frequent media commentator on public affairs for, among others, CNN, Public Radio, and the Washington Post. She is a regular guest on Wisconsin Public Radio's program, At Issue. From 1995 to 2008, she served as a consultant for and taught in the annual Supreme Court Summer Institute, co-sponsored by the Supreme Court Historical Society and Street Law. A native of Louisville, Kentucky, she is an avid fan of the University of Louisville Cardinals basketball teams and the Kentucky Derby.
- Barbara A. Perry Web Page
- Barbara A. Perry's Blog: Supreme Expert
- University of Virginia's Miller Center Faculty Page
- Sweet Briar College Media Experts Directory
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Perry interviewed for USA Today article: "Short list for court picks shows ties to Obama"
- "A Female Trinity: Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan on the U.S. Supreme Court"From Larry J. Sabato's "Crystal Ball"
- "Justice John Paul Stevens' Supreme Court Odyssey From Gerald Ford Republican to Barack Obama Democrat"From Larry J. Sabato's "Crystal Ball"
- Washington Post interview on Catholic Majority on the U.S. Supreme Court, June 20, 2009
- CNN Politics.COM: "Sotomayor to face scrutiny over sensitive issues, rulings"
- CNN Politics.COM: "Sotomayor would be part of court's Catholic shift"
- CNN Politics.COM: "Why Michelle Obama inspires women around the globe"
- "Supremely Representative: Should the Nation's Highest Court Look Like America?"From Larry J. Sabato's "Crystal Ball"
- Sweet Briar College News Item: Barbara Perry to Discuss Jackie Kennedy's Influence at UVa Miller Center Forum
- Virginia Festival of the Book Program: "The Campus Client: Legal Issues in Higher Education"
- Interview on National Public Radio: "A History of Diversity on the High Court"
- University Press of Kansas, Freedom and the Court: Civil Rights and Liberties in the United States
- University Press of Kansas, The Michigan Affirmative Action Cases
- University Press of Kansas, Jacqueline Kennedy, First Lady of the New Frontier
- University of Virginia Newsmakers: Jacqueline Kennedy Discussion
- University of Virginia Arts and Sciences Interview: "Judging Jackie Kennedy, Barbara Perry's new book examines the enigma of a fascinating first lady"
- Greenwood Publishing Group, The Priestly Tribe: The Supreme Court's Image in the American Mind
- Peter Lang Verlagsgruppe, The Supremes: An Introduction to the U.S. Supreme Court Justices
- Richmond Times Dispatch: "College Experts Anticipate Obama's Inaugural Address"
- Boston Herald: "Edward Kennedy at rest with brothers, vets"
- Sotomayor confirmation hearings, Wisconsin Public Radio "At Issue", July 16, 2009
- Legacy of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Wisconsin Public Radio "At Issue", Aug. 27, 2009
- Perry Interviewed by Swiss TV on the replacement of retiring Justice John Paul Stevens