Roger Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp of Bletso
|Roger Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp|
|Spouse(s)||Sibyl de Patteshull
Margaret de Carew
Sir Roger de Beauchamp
Philip de Beauchamp
Margaret de Beauchamp
|Father||Roger de Beauchamp|
|Died||3 January 1380|
Roger Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp of Bletsoe (c. 1315 – 3 January 1380) was an English soldier and peer who served both Edward III and his wife, Philippa of Hainault. He was an ancestor of Henry VII.
Roger de Beauchamp, perhaps born about 1315, was the son and heir of Roger de Beauchamp, a younger son of Sir Walter de Beauchamp and Alice de Tony, daughter of Roger de Tony of Flamstead, Hertfordshire.
Beauchamp was a yeoman to Edward III by 24 April 1337, and is described as a bachelor to Philippa of Hainault on 26 October 1340, when she granted him the keepership of Devizes Castle. He served in the wars in France from as early as 1346, and in 1372 was appointed Captain of Calais. He was summoned to Parliament from 1 June 1363 to 20 October 1379 by writs directed Rogero de Bello Campo, whereby he 'may be held to have become Lord Beauchamp'. He was appointed Lord Chamberlain of the Household to Edward III in 1376-77.
Marriages and issue
Beauchamp married firstly, before 15 March 1337, Sibyl de Patteshull (d. before 1375), daughter and one of the four co-heirs of Sir John de Pateshull and Mabel de Grandison, daughter of William de Grandison, 1st Baron Grandison, by whom he had two sons and a daughter:
- Sir Roger de Beauchamp (d. before 15 May 1374), who married Joan de Clopton, widow of Sir Walter de Walcote, and daughter of William de Clopton, by whom he had a son, Sir Roger de Beauchamp (d. 3 May 1406), and a daughter, Margaret Beauchamp, who married Robert Mauteby, esquire. Sir Roger de Beauchamp (d. 3 May 1406) was the grandfather of Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso, grandmother of Henry VII.
- Philip de Beauchamp (born c. 1338), Archdeacon of Exeter. He was a godson of Philippa of Hainault.
- Margaret de Beauchamp, who married firstly Sir John de Blanchminster of Wighill, Yorkshire, and secondly Sir Gilbert Talbot of Wadley, Berkshire.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1912). The Complete Peerage, edited by Vicary Gibbs. II. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 44–5.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966381.
- Stirnet: Beauchamp02 (URL points to Sir Roger's position on the page) (subscription required)