Bart Simpson (filmmaker)
Bart Simpson is a Canadian producer and director of documentary and fiction films. He started his education in political science and philosophy, however quickly transferred those interests to a variety of media arts.
Simpson is best known for producing the feature documentary The Corporation with his former production company in Vancouver, Canada. The film has won 26 awards and commendations, including major awards at the Sundance Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival, and International Documentary Filmfestival Amsterdam. It is the highest-grossing domestic documentary in Canadian history, and is in the top 40 documentaries in the U.S.
Simpson acted as Canadian producer on Moebius Redux featuring illustrator Jean Giraud, which won Best Film at Comicon International, and acted in the same capacity for the feature documentary Bananas!* with Swedish director Fredrik Gertten. The film was hit with a lawsuit from Dole Food Company in summer 2009. Subsequently, Simpson started the Independent Film Legal Defense Fund, a 501(c)3 non-profit association dedicated to defending filmmakers from lawsuits related to U.S. First Amendment rights. The Fund is scheduled to launch in November 2009.
Simpson is a past National Chairperson of the Documentary Organization of Canada, and has spoken widely in Canada and abroad on documentary policy and practice. He is a PhD candidate in Film by Practice at the University of Exeter, UK.
- "Documentary Movies at the Box Office". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on 3 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "CCI:IFF 2007 :: News". Comic-con.org. Archived from the original on 20 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Orey, Michael (2009-07-09). "Dole Sues Bananas! Filmmaker". BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 18 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Filmmagere kaprer cph:dox!". Listserv.ifm.ku.dk. 2004-11-14. Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Bart Simpson at the Internet Movie Database
- Bio from The Corporation
- The Documentary Organization of Canada/Documentaristes du Canada