Battle of Buckland Mills
|Battle of Buckland Mills|
|Part of American Civil War|
|United States (Union)||CSA (Confederacy)|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Hugh Judson Kilpatrick,George A. Custer,Henry Eugene Davies||J.E.B. Stuart,Fitzhugh Lee|
|Casualties and losses|
The Battle of Buckland Mills, also known as The Buckland Races or Chestnut Hill, was fought on October 19, 1863, between Union and Confederate forces in the American Civil War. Union cavalry led by Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick were caught in a Confederate ambush and defeated.
Near Buckland Mills, on Broad Run, Confederate cavalry commander Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, with Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton's cavalry division, were covering Gen. Robert E. Lee's retirement from his defeat at Bristoe to the Rappahannock River. On October 19, they turned on Kilpatrick's pursuing Federal cavalry, while Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's division charged the Federal flank. Kilpatrick was routed, fleeing five miles to Haymarket and Gainesville. The Confederates derisively called the affair "The Buckland Races", although some Confederate commanders likened it to a fox hunt. The Condeferate forces incurred 41 casualties. The Union forces lost about 261 men, most of which were taken prisoner.
The Civil War Trust (a division of the American Battlefield Trust) and its partners have acquired and preserved 91 acres (0.37 km2) of the battlefield.
- ^ "Buckland Mills". www.civilwar.com. Retrieved 2022-12-13.
- ^ "Civil War – Buckland Preservation Society". Retrieved 2022-12-13.
- ^  American Battlefield Trust "Saved Land" webpage. Accessed May 25, 2018.
- Adams, James Truslow, Dictionary of American History, New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1940.
- National Park Service battle description
- CWSAC Report Update and Resurvey: Individual Battlefield Profiles
Coordinates: 38°46′29″N 77°41′31″W / 38.7747°N 77.692°W
- Bristoe campaign
- Battles of the Eastern Theater of the American Civil War
- Confederate victories of the American Civil War
- Battles of the American Civil War in Virginia
- Prince William County in the American Civil War
- Fauquier County in the American Civil War
- Conflicts in 1863
- 1863 in Virginia
- October 1863 events
- American Civil War battle stubs