Beaton is a Scottish surname in the English language, which has multiple origins. One origin of the name is from the placename of Béthune, in Pas-de-Calais, France. Another derivation is from the mediaeval personal name Beaton, Beton, which is pet form of a short form of the names Bartholomew or Beatrice. Bartholomew is a masculine name, while Beatrice is a feminine name; the names are not etymologically related to each other. Another derivation of the surname Beaton is that it is an Anglicisation of the Scottish Gaelic Mac Beath.
List of people with the surname
- Alex Beaton, Scottish folk-singer currently living in Franklin, Tennessee
- Alistair Beaton, (born 1947), Scottish political satirist, novelist and television writer
- Cecil Beaton, (1904–1980), English photographer
- David Cardinal Beaton, (1494–1545), last Scottish Cardinal prior to the Reformation.
- Ewan Beaton, (born 1969), Canadian judoka
- James Beaton, (1473–1539), Archbishop of Glasgow
- James Beaton II, (1517–1603), Archbishop of Glasgow
- James Wallace Beaton, (born 1943), Queen's Police Officer
- M. C. Beaton, pseudonym for Marion Chesney
- Kate Beaton, Canadian author of the webcomic "Hark! A Vagrant"
- Mary Beaton, attendant of Mary, Queen of Scots
- Noel Beaton, (1925–2004), Australian politician
- Norman Beaton, (1934–1994), Guyanan actor
- Rosie Beaton, Australian radio announcer
- Steve Beaton, (born 1964), English darts player, 1996 BDO World Champion
- "Learn about the family history of your surname". Ancestry.com. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved 10 October 2010. which cited Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-508137-4. for the surname "Beaton".
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 28–29, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Mark, Colin (2006), The Gaelic-English Dictionary, London: Routledge, p. 722, ISBN 0-203-22259-8
|This page lists people with the surname Beaton. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|