This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Number of locations
|33 (December 2018)|
CEO-Chief executive officer
Beauty Brands Inc. is a salon and spa superstore developed and founded by the advertising company, Bernstein-Rein. The company headquarters is located in Kansas City, Missouri. The company was purchased in November 2013 by a private California-based company replacing Bob Bernstein and David Bernstein with Lyn Kirby as the CEO and Rich Bos as President respectively.
Robert "Bob" Bernstein, CEO of Bernstein-Rein, advertising company, developed and founded the salon and spa superstore in 1995. Bob's son, David, started with the company in 1995, became Vice President of Operations in 2000, then the COO in 2006 before Bob finally made David President and Owner of Beauty Brands in 2009, with Bob remaining as Chairman-CEO.
As of April 2013, Beauty Brands has 65 locations in 11 states, spanning all over the Midwest with stores in Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio and Texas.
In December 2018, Beauty Brands decided to downsize the company by closing 25 of its 58 stores they had throughout the country and reduce staff at its headquarters by a third, leaving around 50. Beauty Brands’ CEO Caryn Lerner said “This year has proven to be a tough year for our business despite our efforts to combat industry headwinds. Necessary organizational changes are required heading into the new year. Make no mistake, these are difficult decisions which we did not take lightly.”
In 2013, the company was purchased in part by Lyn Kirby, the former CEO of Ulta and the buyout group she works for based in California. Kirby bought the majority stake from Bob Bernstein. Bernstein will still have a minority interest in the company. The private-equity buyer and terms of the deal cannot be discussed by either party due to a confidentiality agreement.
Kirby served as CEO of the company, while Rich Bos replaced David Bernstein as president while Bernstein continued to serve as a consultant. Bos spent more than two decades with Ulta, ultimately as the vice president of merchandising.
- Caryn Lerner – Chief Executive Officer
- Chris Struempler—Chief Financial Officer
- Smith, Joyce. "California company buys control of KC-based Beauty Brands". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Beauty Brands names David Bernstein as president". Biz Journals. 12 March 2009. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Store Locator | Beauty Brands". Beauty Brands. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- Andrew Vaupel (January 10, 2014). "Bernstein sells majority stake in Beauty Brands". Biz Journals. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Former Ulta CEO Kirby now running rival beauty chain". Chicago Business. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Beauty Brands, Inc.: Private Company Business". Bloomberg. Retrieved 13 April 2015.