Ben Bass (American football)
|Date of birth:||October 12, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Grapevine, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||293 lb (133 kg)|
|High school:||Plano West (TX)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Benjamin Joseph Bass (born October 12, 1989) is a former American football defensive end in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys and New England Patriots. He played college football for Texas A&M.
Bass attended Plano West Senior High School, where he earned All-state honors. He played college football for Texas A&M. He redshirted in 2007, and was used on the defensive line and at tight end as a freshman. He missed the 2009 season due to academics. As a senior, he had 26 tackles, 2 sacks and a pass deflection. He only started three games during his college career, including two in his last season.
After not being selected in the 2012 NFL Draft, he received a tryout invitation for rookie-minicamp where he performed well enough to be signed as an undrafted free agent. On September 1, he was released and later signed to the practice squad. On November 13, he was promoted to the active roster after the team placed Kenyon Coleman on the injured reserve list, due to a torn triceps injury he suffered against the Philadelphia Eagles. On December 1, he was placed on injured reserve list due to an ankle injury.
In 2013, with the Cowboys moving to a 4-3 defense and the Tyrone Crawford season ending injury, there were high expectations for Bass to earn a bigger role, but he suffered a separated shoulder in practice and was placed on the injured reserve list on September 5.
In 2014, he suffered a hamstring injury that limited his practice time in training camp. On August 12, an injured Bass was traded to the New England Patriots in exchange for cornerback Justin Green.
New England Patriots
- "Bass Pro Football Reference Profile". pro-football-reference.com.
- "Ben Bass College Statistics". sports-reference.com.
- "Former Texas A&M defensive lineman Ben Bass is making good in the NFL".
- "Cowboys Announce Release Of 23 Players, Roster Trimmed To 53". dallascowboys.com. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- "Cowboys Send Coleman to IR, Promote Local Product Ben Bass to Active Roster". nbcdfw.com. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- "Cowboys place Ben Bass on injured reserve". espn.go.com. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "Report: Cowboys trade DT Ben Bass to Patriots for cornerback Justin Green". DallasNews.com. August 12, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Patriots make roster moves to reach 75-man roster