Beneath the Lies – The Series
|Beneath The Lies – The Series|
|Created by||Nana Kagga|
|Written by||Nana Kagga|
|Directed by||Tosh Gitonga|
Joseph Kitsha Kyasi
Cedric Babu Ndilima
Patrick ‘Salvado’ Idringi
Michael Wawuyo Jr.
|Country of origin||Uganda|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Cedric Babu Ndilima|
Nana Kagga Macpherson
|Camera setup||Alternative Two Camera|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Distributor||40 Plus Productions|
|Original network||Urban TV Uganda|
|Original release||December 17, 2014 –|
September 4, 2016
Beneath The Lies (also known as Beneath The Lies – The Series or just Beneath The Lies Series) is a Ugandan television drama-mystery series created by Nana Kagga Macpherson and starring Flavia Tumusiime, Natasha Sinayobye, Gaetano Kagwa, Hellen Lukoma, Rabadaba, Deedan Muyira, Cedric Babu Ndilima, Salvador Idringi, and Susan Naava as regular cast members.
The series was directed by Joseph Kitsha Kyasi and Tosh Gitonga. It was originally produced by Savannah MOON Productions, and Kinetic Media Group before all production was taken over by 40Plus Productions, a production house co-owned by Nana Kagga and Cedric Babu Ndilima. It airs on Sundays at 9:30 p.m. EAT, on New Vision Group's Urban TV Uganda.
Within the city of Kampala, lies a seedy underbelly of blackmail, drug trafficking, child prostitution and exploitation of women run by an unknown racket. When the lies beneath each relationship are exposed and loyalties are tested, only death and chaos can ensue.
The first two episodes of the series were produced by Savannah MOON Productions in conjunction with Kinetic Management group and so far the all the episodes were shot at different locations in Kampala. 40 Plus Productions took over the series production in 2016 starting with the third episode of the first season and at the same time MTN Uganda took over digital marketing for the TV Series. The series is the brains of Nana Kagga, a former TV presenter and actress, remembered for her roles in A Good Day to Be Black & Sexy, Star Trek and featuring in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. The series ran for 30 minutes an episode on the 10:30 – 11 p.m. Urban TV time slot weekdays and repeats on Sundays before its hiatus.
Theft and series hiatus
In December 2014, all pre-recorded material and equipment for episodes 3–12 of season one were stolen from storage during the end of shoot wrap party. This brought the show to a very sudden hiatus after re-airing the first and second episode.
After the theft of BTL footage, re-shooting of the show began in January 2015. Shooting started in early 2016 with mostly a new crew consisting predominantly of Ugandans. Beneath The Lies was re-released on 31 July 2016 on Urban TV Uganda under 40 Plus Productions and MTN Uganda as its digital distributor. The show aired four more episodes after the re-release with the last episode airing on 4 September 2016, making a total of six episodes and marking the premature end of the series.
- Flavia Tumusiime as Kamali Tenywa
- Cedric Babu Ndilima as Mr. Stephen Amaru, Kamali's ex-husband, a powerful lawyer in Kampala. Many of the rich people are at his mercy; he safeguards their secrets.
- Natasha Sinayobye as Kaitesi Munyana, Kamali's sister
- Gaetano Kagwa as Abe Sakku, head of Mr. Amaru's security personnel
- Rabadaba as Simon/Suna Kintu, ashrewd businessman
- Hellen Lukoma as Hellen Mutungi, Mr. Stephen Amaru's secretary and former mistress
- Deedan Muyira as Tracy Kintu, Suna's wife
- Daniel Omara – Paul Mukasa, part of Amaru's security team
- Susan Naava – Ali, hitwoman for hire and minder
- Patrick Salvador Idringi as Kizito Semwanga, corrupt official
- Isaac Kuddzu – Tendo Amaru, Stephen Amaru's brother
- Marie Corrazon – Sarafina, Suna's step sister
- Alma Sophia Nagayi as Young Kamali
- Chloe Kirabo as Young Keitesi
- Michael Wawuyo Jr. as Shaban, IT specialist, computer hacker
- Mutebi Andrew Elvis- Officer Mande
- Muheesi Baraba as David, works for Suna
- Patrick Nkakalukanyi as Katumba, works for Kizito
- Eleanor Nabwiso as the Kintu’s helper
- Vince Musisi as Ojok as works for Kizito
- Nikita Gossai as Nantale, Kizito’s wife
- Elizabeth Bwamimpeke as Mama Kamali
- Nana Kagga as Attorney General
- Whitney Grace Najjuko as News reader
- Doreen Mirembe as Mariam
Awards and nominations
|Awards & Nominations|
|2016||Africa Magic Viewers' Choice Awards (AMVCAs)||Best Television Series||Nominated|||
List of Episodes
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||6||December 17, 2014||September 4, 2016|
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||1||"Reflections of Us"||Tosh Gitonga||Nana Kagga Macpherson||December 17, 2014|
|Kamali steals Mr. Amaru's (husband) laptop that contains very important information and delivers it to her boss (slaver) Mr. Suuna.|
|2||2||"Of Pasts Relieved"||Tosh Gitonga||Nana Kagga Macpherson||December 24, 2014|
|Mr. Amaru continues his search for his stolen laptop. Keitesi and her sister Kamali (Amaru's wife) are also arrested and investigations of where the laptop is spark off.|
|3||3||"Episode 3"||Joseph Kitsha Kyasi||Nana Kagga Macpherson||August 14, 2016|
|Mr. Amaru drags Kamali to one of his errands where they meet up with Tracy and Simon/Suna at a club. Things don't go well and Kamali is forced to leave. A drunk staggering Hellen walks into Mr. Amaru and the Attorneny General's meeting and embarrasses him.|
|4||4||"Episode 4"||Joseph Kitsha Kyasi||Nana Kagga Macpherson||August 21, 2016|
|Kaitesi is believed murdered and the police start investigating her murder starting interrogations with Kamali, who seems not ready to help with the investigations.|
|5||5||"Episode 5"||Joseph Kitsha Kyasi||Nana Kagga Macpherson||August 28, 2016|
|Kaitesi drags Paul to escape "hostage". Tracy and Simon get into another domestic fight. Kamali reveals to Mr. Amaru that she had been setup to marry him.|
|6||6||"Episode 6"||Joseph Kitsha Kyasi||Nana Kagga Macpherson||September 4, 2016|
|Kaitesi is hiding at Tracy's house. She has a plan to kill Suna, which Tracy first objects to before realizing that her loving husband wouldn't mind if she was raped and would leave her alone to go seek safety if the situation got sour.|
- "Beneath The Lies' TV Drama Series Premiered, UOT React". Urbanhype. Archived from the original on 2015-04-05. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "PHOTOS: 'Beneath the Lies' Reinvigorates Uganda Movie Industry". Chimpreports. Pat Robert Larubi. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "Don't Miss!! "Beneath the Lies" TV series, Created by Nana Kagga Macpherson, Premieres Dec 17th, Urban TV". Ugandan Diaspora News. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Nominees Announced for 2017 AMVCAs". DSTV. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Beneath The Lies". IMDB.
- "MTN Gives Life To The Stolen Beneath The Lies Series". Red Pepper.
- "MTN Uganda inks deal to be the digital partner of "Beneath the Lies" Series". Cio. Retrieved 26 July 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Beneath The Lies Series No More, The Episodes Were Stolen". Red Pepper. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Beneath The Lies Suffers Premature End". Oops Uganda. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "MTN Partners With 40 Plus Productions Over 'Beneath The Lies'". Uganda News Trending. Retrieved 27 July 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "MTN becomes the Exclusive Digital Partner for Beneath The Lies TV Series". PC Tech Magazine. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- Kaggwa, Andrew. "Uganda: Beneath the Lies – What Lies Beneath the Hype?". All Africa. The Observer (Kampala). Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "2017 AMVCA nominees announced". DSTV. Retrieved 15 December 2016.
- "Behind The Scenes Of 'Beneath The Lies' Episode 3". Chano8. Geofrey Mutabazi. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beneath the Lies – The Series.|