Benjamin Crellin is a New Zealand comedian, actor and writer.
He began his comedy career at 18 years old after attending the National Youth Drama School in the Hawkes Bay, he had originally signed up for an improv class but ended up attending a stand up class instead. Crellin is mostly known for his dark stand up that addresses social-political and taboo topics, he has been described as being “like a cross between Lenny Bruce and Dennis Leary with an angry smart guy vibe that is all his own".
Crellin received the maximum allowable amount of four nominations for the Billy T Award comedy award in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. Crellin won "Best Artist Achievement 2004" at the New Zealand Comedy Awards. In 2009, Crellin won the 3rd edition of Radio New Zealand’s Stand up and be counted in which competitors were taken to a random location a few hours before the live show, then they wrote 6 minutes of comedy material based on the location. Also in 2009, Crellin was nominated for the New Zealand Comedy Guild Awards Andrew Kovacevich memorial cup.
Crellin has appeared on New Zealand Television, including four Billy T Award showcase performances in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003, as well as 7 episodes of Pulp Comedy and 6 appearances for The International Comedy Festival Gala. His gala routine in 2004 portrayed Paul Holmes as Gollum and was featured on the show Eating Media Lunch as one of the best media moments of 2004. In Europe Benjamin performed as a guest comedian on the Dutch television show Raymond is Laat.
- "Comedy Fest: Pablo Francisco & Benjamin Crellin". Get Frank. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Smith, Hannah (15 May 2009). "Clever, funny and thought-provoking". Theatreview. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Who is Benjamin Crellin - and what is his show about?, Television New Zealand, May 2009. Retrieved on 1 June 2012.
- Benjamin Crellin Comedian Profile, The Top Secret Comedy Club, London. Retrieved on 1 June 2012.
- "Competition Outstanding In TV2 Billy T Awards". New Zealand Comedy Trust. 14 May 2002. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "NZ Comedy Awards - winners". New Zealand Comedy Guild. 21 December 2004. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "The Grand Final of the comedy-competition series "Stand up and be counted"". Radio New Zealand National. 8 November 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "NZ Comedy Guild Award nominees". The Big Idea. 7 December 2009. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Benjamin Crellin Comedy CV, Comedy CV, Birmingham. Retrieved on 1 June 2012.
- Way of the JAFA, A Guide to Surviving Auckland and Aucklanders, Fish Pond. Retrieved on 1 June 2012.
- "Who is Benjamin Crellin - and what is his show about?". Television New Zealand. May 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Official website
- Benjamin Crellin at the Internet Movie Database
- Benjamin Crellin Holmes at Gollum 2004 Comedy Gala
- "Benjamin Crellin Comedy Profile". The Classic Comedy Network.