Besant Hill School
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Besant Hill School of Happy Valley|
|Type||Private, Boarding, Day|
|Head of school||Portia Johnson|
|Enrollment||104 (90% Boarding)|
|Average class size||9 students|
|Student to teacher ratio||4:1|
|Campus size||520 acres (2.1 km2)|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Green|
|Nickname||Happy Valley, Besant Hill|
Besant Hill School of Happy Valley, formerly the Happy Valley School, is an American private, coeducational boarding school and day school in Ojai, California. The school has approximately 100 students and about 35 faculty and staff, all of whom live on or near campus. The faculty to student ratio is 1:4 and the average class size is 10. Currently there are 62 courses available, including AP. In the 2017/18 school year there are 13 states and 22 countries represented in the student body. The school is best known for its scenic location, sense of community, rigorous academics, and expansive arts program. An environmental science and sustainability program is coupled with a working garden/farm on campus.
Besant Hill graduates from the class of 2016 attended the following colleges and universities: AMDA, College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts, Baldwin Wallace University, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Claremont McKenna College, Hamilton College (New York), Kent State University, Marquette University, New York University, Pennsylvania State University, Regis University, San Jose State University, Sarah Lawrence College, Savannah College of Art and Design, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Stanford University, The New School, University of Arizona, University of California, San Diego, University of California, Santa Barbara, University of California, Santa Cruz, University of Madrid, University of San Francisco, University of Washington, and Whittier College.
An educational community was envisioned by Annie Besant, which later took the form of a secondary school that was founded by Guido Ferrando, Aldous Huxley, J. Krishnamurti, and Rosalind Rajagopal. The school is on 520 acres (210 ha) of land that was bought in 1927 by Besant. It opened on October 1, 1946 as the Happy Valley School with Dr. Ferrando serving as the first Head of School. The school was later renamed in July 2007 in Besant's honor. The school is currently celebrating its 70th year, and has launched a website to commentate this anniversary with a building project.
- Dr. Annie Besant – Main Founder of the school, prominent women's rights activist and president of the theosophical society
- Rosalind Rajagopal – Main Founder of the school and long-time Director.
- Aldous Huxley – Main Founder of the school (along with Rosalind) – author of Brave New World, and many other novels
- Jiddu Krishnamurti – An Indian speaker and writer on philosophical and spiritual subjects.
- Franklin Lacey – Long-time faculty member and Head of School – co-wrote the famous musical The Music Man
- Beatrice Wood – Long-time faculty member – A famous artist and studio potter involved in the Avant Garde movement in the United States
- Alex J. Mandl – Chairman of Gemalto, board member of Dell Computers, former Chairman of AT&T
- Tom Pollock – Co-founder of The Montecito Picture Company and former Chairman of Universal Studios and producer of Juno, Up in the Air and Hitchcock
- Kaffe Fassett – An American-born artist who is best known for his colourful designs in the decorative arts.
- Cheryl Crane – Writer and daughter of Lana Turner
- Lisa Marie Presley – Daughter of Elvis Presley
- Ron Cooper (artist) - Artist and Del Maguey Mezcal
- "Besant Hill School of Happy Valley". business.ojaichamber.org. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Besant Hill School of Happy Valley - School Directory Details (CA Dept of Education)". www.cde.ca.gov. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2014-09-30.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "WBSA | Besant Hill School of Happy Valley". www.wbsa.net. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Besant Hill School of Happy Valley Homepage". Besanthill.org. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "Besant Hill School of Happy Valley - The Association of Boarding Schools - TABS". www.boardingschools.com. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Celebrate 70 – The Campaign for Besant Hill School of Happy Valley". Celebrate70.com. 1946-10-01. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- GregoryGraphics.com. "Besant Hill School of Happy Valley". www.happyvalleyfdn.org. Retrieved 2017-08-31.