|This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (September 2011)|
BetonSports plc is a British online gambling company founded by Gary Kaplan in 1995. The company was one of the biggest players in the United States online gaming market, drawing in several billion US dollars in wagers in the early 2000s. In June 2006 US authorities indicted the company and a number of its executives on RICO, mail fraud, and tax evasion charges arising from its supplying online betting to customers in the United States (the alleged crimes took place before the adoption of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006). No date for trial has been set; several of those indicted remain in US custody or on bond.
In July 2004 the company was floated on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange with the ticker symbol BSS.LN. Although listed in London, the majority of its operations were in several Caribbean locations (principally Aruba, Antigua, and later Costa Rica) and almost all of its customers were within the United States.
In July 2006 the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri issued a sealed indictment of the company and a number of people related to its operations. The indictment was unsealed later that month when CEO David Carruthers was arrested in Dallas while returning to Costa Rica after attending the company's annual general meeting in London. Shortly after Carruthers' arrest trading in the company's stock was suspended. At that time BetonSports employed around 2000 workers in Costa Rica. The company later terminated Carruthers and agreed to discontinue its US business.
The criminal trial for BetonSports is scheduled for September 2009.
On 8 January 2010 it was announced that David Carruthers had been sentenced to 33 months in prison.
- "U.S. permanently bans BetOnSports" ZDNews, 10 November 2006
- "BetOnSports PLC Shareholders May Sue the Company"
- "Quote for BETonSPORTS PLC (BSS.LN)", Wall Street Journal online share price service, URL retrieved 31 March 2007
- "Significant cases: BETONSPORTS PLC" United States Attorney's Office of the Eastern District of Missouri's page on its ongoing civil and criminal prosecution of BetonSports and related parties.
- Text of the indictment (PDF file)
- "BETonSPORTS plc CEO arrested in Dallas"
- "Gaming shares hit by US charges" BBC News 18 July 2007
- Employees say online gambling operator BetOnSports closing in Costa Rica
- "Founder of Betonsports arrested" BBC News
- "BetOnSports Founder Pleads Guilty to Racketeering"
- STLtoday.com: Trial set for founder of gambling website
- FBI - St Louis web site
- BETonSPORTS.com, the company's former online gambling portal. The site previously displayed information for customers whose funds were affected by the ongoing legal action.