Bigg Boss (Hindi season 1)
Season 1 (2006)
Bigg Boss in 2006 was the first season of the Indian reality TV programme Bigg Boss. It aired on Sony Entertainment Television from 3 November 2006 to 26 January 2007, a total of 86 days. Unlike other versions of Big Brother, the Indian version uses celebrities as housemates, not members of the general public. It was hosted by the Bollywood Actor Arshad Warsi. The series ended on 26 January 2007 with Rahul Roy becoming the winner while Carol Gracias became the runner-up.
The show is based on the Big Brother format developed by John de Mol. A number of contestants (known as "housemates") lived in a purpose-built house and were isolated from the rest of the world. Each week, housemates nominated two of their peers for eviction, and the housemates who received the most nominations would face a public vote. Of these, one would eventually leave, having been "evicted" from the House. However, there were exceptions to this process as dictated by Bigg Boss. In the final week, there were three housemates remaining, and the public voted for who they wanted to win.
Tasks were set by Bigg Boss each week. The housemates were allowed to gamble on task outcomes, and were rewarded with extra money to order more supplies if they won.
The participants in the order of appearance and entered in house are:
- Rahul Roy (Winner), Former actor popular for his role in Aashiqui.
- Carol Gracias, Supermodel. Gained much publicity after a wardrobe malfunction.
- Ravi Kishan , Superstar of Bhojpuri cinema. Indian Politician (later).
- Rakhi Sawant, Reality television star. Always in news for various controversies.
- Amit Sadh, Bollywood actor. Gained much success in Bollywood after the show.
- Rupali Ganguly, Indian television actor popular for her role in Sarabhai vs Sarabhai.
- Baba Sehgal, Singer. Rapper.
- Ragini Shetty, Commoner
- Deepak Tijori, Bollywood actor popular for playing negative roles.
- Anupama Verma, Model and actress.
- Aryan Vaid, Actor and Model.
- Kashmira Shah, Former Bollywood actress. Reality television star.
- Deepak Parashar, Television and film actor.
- Bobby Darling, Actress. Gained much popularity after her sex change surgery.
- Salil Ankola, Cricketer.
- "Rahul Roy wins Bigg Boss". 27 January 2007.
- "'I've learnt a lot from Bigg Boss'". 5 February 2007.
- "Ravi Kishan to enter Bigg Boss house". ndtv.com. 20 November 2008. Archived from the original on 12 July 2012.
- "'You saw the real me in Bigg Boss'". 4 December 2006.
- "Bigg Boss was a very disturbing experience: Amit Sadh". 1 February 2013.
- "Controversy spices up reality TV". Financial Express. 21 January 2007.[permanent dead link]
- "'Bigg Boss' opens house". Indian Express. 7 November 2006.[permanent dead link]
- "They're all acting on Bigg Boss: Baba Sehgal". 16 January 2007.