Bill Armstrong (photographer)
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (January 2014)|
Bill Armstrong is a New York based fine art photographer who is known for his blurred color photographs. He grew up in Concord, Massachusetts.
Life and career
Bill Armstrong is a New York based fine art photographer who has been shooting in color for over thirty years. Armstrong is represented by ClampArt in New York, Hackelbury in London and numerous galleries across the country and in Europe. His Mandala series was featured in a two-person exhibition at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 2008, and he had a mid career retrospective at the Southeast Museum of Photography in Daytona Beach in 2010. Armstrong’s work is in many museum collections including the Victoria & Albert Museum, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Brooklyn Museum, Houston Museum of Fine Arts, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, and the Bibliothèque nationale de France. He has presented work in numerous museum exhibitions including: the Smithsonian Institution; Hayward Gallery, London; Musee de l’Elysee, Lausanne; Centro Internazionale di Fotografia, Milan; and FOAM, Amsterdam. One of Armstrong’s images was chosen for the cover of Lyle Rexer’s Aperture book, The Edge of Vision: The Rise of Abstraction in Photography. His work appears in Face: The New Photographic Portrait by William Ewing and Exploring Color Photography, by Robert Hirsch, among other books. He has also been published in numerous periodicals including The New Yorker, The New York Times, Harper’s, House and Garden and Eyemazing.
- Hirsch, Robert (2005). Exploring Color Photography: From the Darkroom to the Digital Studio. New York: McGraw-Hill. p. 263. ISBN 9780072407068.
- "Interview with Bill Armstrong". Aperture Foundation. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Newhall, Edith (October 5, 2008). "Something to meditate on: Mandalas in photographs" (PDF). Philadelphia Inquirer.
- "Spirit: From the Infinity Series". Southeast Museum of Photography. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Rexer, Lyle (2009). The Edge of Vision: The Rise of Abstraction in Photography. New York: Aperture. pp. Cover, 212–213. ISBN 9781597111003.
- Ewing, William (2006). Face: The New Photographic Portrait. London: Thames & Hudson. pp. 212–213. ISBN 9780500543214.
- Groopman, Jerome. "Silent Minds". The New Yorker. Retrieved 11 December 2013.